Big Ten announces all-conference teams

Big Ten announces all-conference teams

The Big Ten announced last week that four Badger football players were named to various levels of the 2002 All-Big Ten Conference football team.

Sophomore strong safety Jim Leonhard, who walked on to the program as a true freshman in fall 2001, was a first-team choice by the media and a second-team selection of the coaches. Leonhard leads the nation in interceptions with a school-record 10 and leads the Big Ten with 24 pass breakups.

Senior center Al Johnson and sophomore running back Anthony Davis were both consensus second-team selections. Johnson, a captain, has started 36 of the team’s last 37 games, including 31 straight. Davis is the conference’s third-leading rusher with 1,456 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Senior defensive lineman Jake Sprague was a consensus honorable-mention choice. Sprague leads the Badgers with six quarterback sacks and is second on the team in tackles for loss with nine.

Iowa quarterback Brad Banks was named the league’s offensive player of the year. Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was tabbed freshman of the year. Penn State defensive lineman Michael Haynes (media) and Ohio State defensive back Mike Doss (coaches) each took defensive player of the year honors, and Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz was voted coach of the year.

-compiled from staff reports