Special season for Penn State forward Welsh

The regular season came to an end for the lowest-ranked three teams in the conference last weekend. For the other well-deserving eight, the season moves on and the intensity picks up for the postseason tournament this coming weekend. At stake is a conference championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Penn State is once again the top seed and favorite to repeat, but flourishing squads like Wisconsin, Michigan and Purdue will look to knock the champion off its throne.

PSU’s Welsh wins second-consecutive scoring title

Christie Welsh, the reigning 2001 player of the year, showed the nation once again why she is the top player in the country. An impressive 2002 season was capped off last weekend by wrapping up the scoring title and clinching a fifth-straight regular-season Big Ten crown.

“Christie is an amazing player that can do so many things to help her team win,” Wisconsin head coach Dean Duerst said. “She is very talented and a big reason why Penn State is such a great team.”

Four years ago, Welsh was a highly touted recruit out of Massapequa, N. Y. When she signed with Penn State she brought with her the title of New York state player of the year and was a member of the United States 18 and under national team.

From her first game as a freshman, Welsh has lived up to the resume she brought with her to Happy Valley. In only three years she has developed into Penn State’s greatest player to ever put on its jersey and is sure to become a three-time all-American come season’s end.

“She is a special talent,” Penn State head coach Paula Wilkins said. “She has had a stellar career at Penn State and is a large reason why we have been so successful.”

Wisconsin punches ticket back to playoffs completing remarkable turnaround

A good season turned special last weekend when the Badgers clinched a spot in the Big Ten tournament after a two-year absence. With 14 points in conference play, the Badgers more than tripled their entire point total in the 2001 season.

“It has been a very good season,” head coach Duerst commented. “This team has worked extremely hard throughout the season, and it has paid off with positive results. We now find ourselves in a spot where we can make a run in the tournament and become Big Ten champions.”

Junior forward Jenny Kundert had one of the best seasons in Wisconsin history, leading the team in points, goals and assists. This marks the first time a Badger has led the team in the three main scoring categories since 1993. Kundert will need a clutch performance in the postseason for Wisconsin to continue its fantastic season.

“J.K. (Kundert) has been tremendous all year,” Duerst said. “She gets better and better each and every game and is a wonderful team leader.