Westerman happy in the Midwest

Sometimes things work in mysterious ways, but tend to work out for the best. Senior tennis player Danny Westerman would certainly agree.

When it came time to start looking at colleges and where he could possibly play and be an impact to a team, Westerman decided to leave the confines of his home in Los Angeles and check out all that Wisconsin had to offer. As it turned out, Westerman had a playing partner that had played for the Badgers in the late ’80s and he suggested Westerman head to the Midwest and take a look.

It was a decision Westerman, who also looked at UCLA, UC-Irvine, and Northwestern, has never looked back on.

“I just took a trip [to UW] to please a buddy of mine, and I just fell in love with the campus,” said Westerman. “It had such a great college-town feel. UCLA didn’t have that feel, and neither did USC.”

The Californian also was attracted to the fact that not only Madison residents supported Badger athletics.

“The whole state gets involved in athletics, and [Madison] had that great feel,” added Westerman. “I just signed early because I loved it. The combination of academics, athletics, and social setting is great. I don’t know any other school that has those three so highly on everyone’s lists.”

Westerman also knew that he had the opportunity to play right away and be an impact to the program. In his first season he started playing at the No. 4 and No. 5 positions. Since then, he has held on to the No. 1 spot for three years running. It has been a spot that has provided more than just great opposition, but the chance to be a leader to those around him.

“There is a little bit [of pressure], I guess,” said Westerman. “Maybe guys look to me to set an example, and that is something that I try to do everyday.”

An example, indeed. Westerman has taken on whatever challenges have faced him since the moment he stepped on the court for the Badgers. He has consistently been one of the top players for Wisconsin and has had a winning conference record at the singles position in his first three years, and he currently rests at 6-2 in Big Ten action.

Westerman was named most improved player his freshman year, and has been the team MVP ever since. While the accolades have been nice, the accomplishment Westerman personally feels describes his tenure at UW, was his championship finish at the Omni Hotels Midwest Singles Championship this past October. The victory secured him a spot in the National Indoor Championships, where he would go on to lose in the first round.

Tennis has provided many things for Westerman, whether it is the camaraderie that being a part of a team brings or the experience to live life in a setting unlike California. However, the greatest thing tennis has given to Westerman cannot be placed on any trophy rack or be found in any record books. Rather, it has been the time spent bonding with his father.

Westerman’s father would travel every weekend with him to the various junior tournaments that he participated in when he was younger. Now that Westerman has moved on to the college level, his father has not been able to see his son swing the racket in person very often.

“Traveling every weekend with my dad is something I miss a lot,” commented Westerman. “Being so far away, my dad can’t watch. He did make to San Diego over spring break. It was great in the fall that both my parents saw me play in the regional tournament that I won, but it was hard at first not seeing him there and the little things he used to do for me — the look, the little fist, and the little reassurances that I miss the most.”

As his four years draws to a near end, the business major will be preparing to finish up his education and move back to California, where he will hopefully participate in the professional tournaments near his home.

Until then though, Wisconsin is more than glad to have him here.