5 Big Ten teams head to Big Dance

After an up-and-down season for all of the Big Ten, five Big Ten teams are left standing. The four who share the conference title (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State and Wisconsin), along with Michigan State, received berths into the NCAA Tournament. With postseason play ready to get underway, now all five are hoping to be in Atlanta April 1 playing for the national title.

Ohio State: Brian Brown, the two-time Ohio State men’s basketball captain who was named first-team all-Big Ten, along with his other OSU teammates, wanted to show everyone the true Big Ten basketball powerhouse resides in Columbus, and that they are not to be slighted when it comes to recognition. To illustrate this, the Buckeyes (23-7, 11-5 Big Ten) shaved their heads to display team unity before the Big Ten Tournament. That display of unanimity helped earn them the tournament title. In post-Big Ten Tournament action, the Buckeyes have received a No. 4 seed in the West Region of the NCAA tournament, taking on No.13 Davidson tomorrow at University Arena in Albuquerque, N.M.

Illinois: All the preseason hype that surrounded the Illinois men’s basketball team led to nothing but disappointment with a 3-5 start. But the Illini (24-8, 11-5 Big Ten) are more than capable of putting together a postseason run when they are all healthy. Besides, point guard Frank Williams — even though some say he had an off season, only averaging 16 points and five assists — is far too great of a player to leave before going out with a bang. Last year the Illini made it to the Elite Eight, bowing out with a loss to Arizona. This year, seeded at No. 4 in the Midwest Region, the Illini will face San Diego State, the Mountain West champions headed by former Michigan coach Steve Fischer, who have not been in the NCAA Tournament for 17 years.

Indiana: Indiana will make its 17th straight appearance, the second-longest streak in NCAA history and 31st overall appearance at the Big Dance. The Hoosiers are seeded at No. 5 in the South Region in Sacramento, Calif., and will be matched up against No. 12 seed Utah.

The Hoosiers (20-19, 11-5 Big Ten) will be looking to sophomore forward Jared Jefferies, the Big Ten Most Valuable Player of the Year. He set the tone early in Big Ten play by leading the Hoosiers in scoring and rebounding and also helped lead them to their 20th Big Ten championship. Second-year head coach Mike Davis has shown he not only belongs but is more than capable of replacing a legend.

Michigan State: Michigan State turned in a solid season this year, despite a four-game losing streak in post-holiday play. What the Spartans (19-11, 10-6 Big Ten) lack in depth from their bench, they make up for in experience, going to three straight Final Fours in the last three years and taking the national title in 2000. Marcus Taylor doubled his scoring average this past season with 16.8 ppg. Seeded at No. 10 in the East Region, the Spartans will take on seventh-seeded North Carolina State in Washington, D.C., Friday.

Wisconsin: Wisconsin has accomplished the improbable and impossible this season. With only one returning starter, first-year coach Bo Ryan has his young Badger squad (18-11, 11-5 Big Ten) going to the Big Dance. The eighth-seeded Badgers head to Washington, D.C., to play St. John’s, the No. 9 seed, this Sunday.

As for the rest of the Big Ten teams, they all hopefully await bids to play in the National Invitational Tournament.