Badgers repay Iowa for earlier loss

What a difference six weeks make.

Wisconsin was able to avenge an early-season loss last night in front of an energized Kohl Center crowd. The Badgers soundly beat Iowa 64-56 as they once again turned in an impressive second-half performance on their way to Bo Ryan’s 400th career victory.

Both teams struggled to sustain any offensive rhythm during the first half of play. Wisconsin opened the game with a pair of Devin Harris three pointers only to allow Iowa to answer back with two of their own.

Several times, it appeared the Badgers would open up the game as they extended to an eight-point lead on three separate occasions in the first half. However, as has been the case in several games lately, the last five minutes of the half proved difficult for the Badgers as they allowed their lead to dwindle to one point going into the half.

Wisconsin was plagued by poor team shooting during the first half, going only 33 percent from the field. Kirk Penney, the Badgers? leading scorer, was held scoreless on 0-5 shooting. Fortunately the Badgers were able to keep the game close with excellent play from Devin Harris who was three of four from the field including two three-point shots.

“Devin really is that kind of an athlete, and confidence breeds better play,” Ryan said. “I hope he keeps that bounce in his step.”

In the second half, the Badgers came out with firing and were able to score more consistently against Iowa?s very physical defense. Kirk Penney moved his game closer to the basket after not being able to find the outside range in the first half. He was able to convert two consecutive post moves to begin the second half as Wisconsin began to dominate the Hawkeyes? on the inside.

The Badgers outscored Iowa in the post 32 to 24.

“In the second half we let them shoot way too high of a percentage,” said Iowa coach Steve Alford. “That?s three straight games where we have given up a big run coming out of half. Two of the areas we didn?t want to get beat (free-throw line and points in the paint), and we got beat by 18 points in those two areas. We didn?t do the two things we were really focusing on trying to do.”

Part of Wisconsin?s dominance in the post was due to the unexpectedly potent offensive output of Dave Mader who finished with a career-high 10 points.

With Wilkinson on the bench because of fouls, Mader was able to score six points within a three-minute span including an impressive post move that resulted in a dunk over Iowa?s Reggie Evans at the 12:17 mark of the second half.

While Iowa has been plagued by poor team chemistry this season Wisconsin once again showed cohesiveness to be one of its attributes. The Badgers had four players in double figures including Devin Harris who, with 20 points, was the games leading scorer. Travon Davis pitched in with 12 points and six assists. The senior point guard?s level of play has been very high during the Badger?s recent winning streak.

“I would say that I like to do little things that don?t get noticed,” said Davis. “I don?t mind stepping in the back and getting a rebound. Dave worked so hard to box his guy out so I could get it. Whatever it takes to win, I?m just trying to be a leader and just follow my coaches guidance and help the team.”

Also key to the Badger victory were Iowa?s 18 turnovers that the Badgers were able to convert into 22 points. The Badgers, who have avoided playing up-tempo games this season, were also able to score more fast-break points than the Hawkeyes as they won nearly every statistical category.

The Hawkeye loss drops Iowa to 4-10 in Big Ten, good for 10th place. The win keeps the Badgers in third place in the Big Ten and with one game remaining on their schedule they have the most wins in the league with a 10-5 record. With the victory, most believe the Badgers have secured a place in the NCAA tournament, but Wisconsin won?t worry about that yet.

“If you look too far ahead, you lose your focus,” said Davis. “Postseason? We still have a game against Michigan.”