Americans medal in moguls, snowboarding and speed skating in opening weekend

PARK CITY, Utah (Reuters) — American Kelly Clark has provided a dramatic finale to the women’s snowboarding halfpipe finals, snatching the first Olympic gold medal for the host nation on the last run of the day.

With Guns N’ Roses blaring in the background, the 18-year-old switched her routine for the last run and unseated France’s Doriane Vidal who had been enjoying a comfortable lead since the first of two final runs.

Clark , the final rider of the day, added a more difficult twisting air maneuver and made her way down the pipe to the roar of a partisan crowd and the sounds of “Welcome to the Jungle.” She bagged a score of 47.9 — the best mark of the day and not far off a perfect 50.

World champion Vidal took the silver with her first-round 43.0 and Switzerland’s Fabienne Reuteler won bronze with her initial score of 39.7.

Pairs Figure Skating: SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) — The lyrical and technically superb short program of Russian pair Yelena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze drew gasps from the audience and top marks from the judges in the Olympic figure skating opener.

Canada’s gold medal co-favorites Jamie Sale and David Pelletier also impressed with their playful tango to take second place at the Salt Lake Ice Center.

In third are China’s Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, who produced a huge throw triple loop and soaring twist lift, but lost their synchronization on the individual spin.

In fourth and fifth place, and within striking distance of the podium, are another Russian duo Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin and Americans Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman.

Men’s Downhill: SNOWBASIN, Utah (Reuters) — Austrian Fritz Strobl skiied the race of his life to win the men’s Olympic downhill Sunday, upstaging big favorite and team mate Stephan Eberharter.

Eberharter had to be content with bronze while Lasse Kjus of Norway repeated his silver of four years ago.

Women’s moguls: DEER VALLEY, Utah (Reuters) — It wasn’t a dream run, but Norwegian Kari Traa did just enough to match her billing as the strong favorite for the women’s freestyle skiing moguls.

The 28-year-old, virtually unbeatable this season, produced an accurate if unspectacular run in the final to win with 25.94 points.

American Shannon Bahrke took silver (25.06) — the first Olympic medal for the home team — and Nagano gold medallist Tae Satoya of Japan ended up with bronze (24.85).

Speed Skating: SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) — In a wondrous 24 hours, American speed skater Derek Parra has held the World Trade Center flag, a world record and an Olympic silver medal.

Riding a wave of emotion left over from Friday’s opening extravaganza and the support of the home crowd, the 31-year-old Mexican-American put his head down and gracefully powered his way around the lightning-quick Olympic Oval, ripping 15 seconds off his personal best time and giving the U.S. an unexpected medal.

The top spot went to Jochem Uytdehaage, who chipped another three seconds off the World Record with a 6:14.66 to continue Dutch domination of the event.