Michigan Special Teams defeat UW

MADISON, Wis. – A 31-yard Hayden Epstein field goal with 10 seconds remaining in the game sailed through the uprights as the 11th-ranked Wolverines escaped with a 20-17 victory over Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium Saturday.

The Badger defense held Michigan to 163 yards of total offense, including just 58 yards in passing, and forced a pair of Wolverine turnovers, but special-team miscues on the part of Wisconsin led to 13 UM points.

After forcing Michigan to punt from the UW 48-yard line with less than 20 seconds remaining, the kick bounced into Badger freshman Brett Bell at the 13 to set up Epstein’s game-winning field goal attempt. Wisconsin’s Mark Neuser just missed a 36-yard field goal at the other end on the Badgers’ previous drive.

The Wolverines also scored 10 points on a pair of blocked punts, including one that was returned 43 yards for a touchdown by freshman Marlin Jackson in the second quarter.

Wisconsin got on the board first, driving 80 yards in 12 plays on the opening possession. Junior quarterback Brooks Bollinger dove across the goal line for a one-yard gain at the 9:04 mark and Neuser added the extra point to give Wisconsin a 7-0 lead.

Michigan answered with a touchdown near the end of the first quarter, a 10-play, 40-yard drive culminating in a 1-yard pass from John Navarre to Deitan Dubuc that evened the score at 7-7. Marlin’s punt return midway through the second quarter put the Wolverines ahead 14-7.

In the third quarter, another blocked punt set up Michigan for a 25-yard Epstein field goal before Wisconsin’s Anthony Davis, who had 27 carries for 119 yards, scored on a 10-yard run to narrow the Badgers’ deficit to 17-14. The effort marked Davis’s ninth 100-yard rushing game of the season, tying the NCAA freshman record.

Nick Greisen, who led the Badgers with 16 tackles, forced a Navarre fumble late in the third quarter that led to a 46-yard field goal by Neuser to tie the game at 17-17.

UW junior Lee Evans caught three passes for 31 yards to become Wisconsin’s career receiving yardage leader. He now has 2,104 receiving yards in his career, one yard ahead of Al Toon’s old record of 2,103. Senior tight end Mark Anelli led the Badgers in receiving with 59 yards from five catches today.

Wisconsin, which falls to 5-6 overall and 3-4 in the Big Ten with the loss, closes out its season next week at Minnesota. Kickoff is at 11:10 a.m. CT.

Wisconsin Sports Information Brian Borkovec