UW hockey eyes future

As the UW men’s hockey team heads back to practice this week, they hope to take a step closer to putting together the pieces of a puzzle they haven’t quite been able to solve so far this year.

However, coming off consecutive series splits against the perennial hockey programs of North Dakota and Boston College, it appears that the Badgers are heading in the right direction towards success.

The progressive improvement on the ice and the enhanced team chemistry between the players is certainly becoming evident as the team heads up north this weekend to take on the Bulldogs of the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

Badgers’ head coach Jeff Sauer discussed his team’s status Monday afternoon, conveying a sense of satisfaction towards where his team stands three weeks into the season.

“We’re really beginning to find ourselves,” Sauer explained. “We’re still trying some different things, but we’re getting closer to where we need to be.”

Throughout the first three series, Sauer has been extremely content with the play of his young defense, challenging the aggressive forwards of Boston College and North Dakota.

“Right now we’re set with our defensemen; they’ve been playing extremely well,” Sauer said. “They’re further along than I expected at this point in the season.”

Sauer has been especially impressed with the play of his two veteran defensemen, junior Mark Jackson and senior Rob Vega.

“Mark played his best game as a Badger on Saturday night,” Sauer said. “And Vega provides leadership and experience for the younger guys.”

As far as the goaltending situation stands, junior Scott Kabatoff and freshman Bernd Bruckler will continue to share time in net. As far as who gets the start each night will be a game-time decision.

“It would be nice to let them know who’s going to play when,” Sauer said. “But right now it’s going to be a day-to-day decision.”

Kabatoff is 2-2 in his first four starts this season and has made quite an impression on many coaches after his performances the past two weekends. His downfall in his two losses hasn’t been as much of a physical problem as it is mental.

“Scott just needs to get back into it mentally as far as winning back-to-back games,” Sauer said. “His physical play has been extremely good. His losses have been more of a mental problem.”

Anchoring the team has been the leadership of captain Andy Wheeler. Wheeler, a senior from Minnesota, has earned the respect of both his teammates and his coaches throughout his career as a Badger. His influence on the team both on and off the ice is what’s most impressed Sauer throughout the first three games.

“Andy has been one of the best captains in recent years,” Sauer commented. “He embodies what a college hockey player is supposed to be.”

In their next six WCHA games, the Badgers will face Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan Tech and Alaska Anchorage. Sauer feels confident in his team’s chances in winning these games and emphasizes their importance on the outcome of the team later in the season.

“If we can win five of these next six games, we should be alright,” Sauer said. “You don’t win the league in November, but you can certainly take yourself out of it.”

The Badgers certainly hope that’s not the case in their situation, as they continue to piece together the puzzle of a championship hockey team.