Yankees win Game 4

NEW YORK (REUTERS) — Tino Martinez and Derek Jeter broke out of hitting slumps with dramatic two-out homers in the ninth and 10th innings, as the New York Yankees rallied to beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 4-3 and even the World Series at two games apiece Wednesday.

Martinez had gone 0-for-9 in this World Series but sent his first pitch from Arizona closer Byung-Hyun Kim over the wall in right center to bring home Paul O’Neill, who had singled, and tie the game at 3-3.

Winning pitcher Mariano Rivera, the three-time defending champions’ closer, shut down the Diamondbacks in the top of the 10th.

Then in the bottom of the inning, Jeter, who was just 1-for-15, fouled off a couple pitches from Kim with two strikes on him before poking a homer over the wall in right for his ninth postseason home run.

The Yankee shortstop circled the bases and leaped into a mob of celebrating Yankees at home plate.

Game Five is also at Yankee Stadium, Thursday night, with Games Six and, if needed, Seven, in Arizona Saturday and Sunday.

Arizona manager Bob Brenly had gambled by starting Curt Schilling on just three days’ rest and the ace right-hander delivered, allowing just one run on three hits in seven innings with nine strikeouts and one walk.

New York starter Orlando Hernandez pitched in and out of trouble but also gave up just one run in 6 and one-third innings on four hits and four walks with five strikeouts and two hit batsmen.

Yankee reliever Mike Stanton gave up two runs on two hits in one inning of work and Ramiro Mendoza contributed 1 and two-thirds innings of hitless relief.