Colts, Chiefs face off in Thursday night game

KANSAS CITY (REUTERS) — The Indianapolis Colts, rated Super Bowl contenders when the season began, will try to get back on track after three consecutive defeats when they face the Kansas City Chiefs tonight.

The Colts (2-3), whose high-powered offense is triggered by quarterback Peyton Manning, are coming off an embarrassing 38-17 defeat to the Patriots, their second loss of the season to New England.

The Chiefs (1-5) are in a three-game skid of their own in a disappointing NFL return by veteran coach Dick Vermeil.

Vermeil, who returned to the NFL after a one-year retirement following his Super Bowl triumph with the St. Louis Rams, is steering the Chiefs to their worst start in 13 years.

The two floundering clubs are clashing on short rest, so they will have scarce time to wallow in their most recent misfortunes.

Vermeil decided not to waste any time showing the team the video of Sunday?s 24-16 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

“We don?t have time to dwell on what we didn?t do well,” said Vermeil.

Colts coach Jim Mora was also concerned with how best to get his team ready for Thursday.

“You?ve got to get them rested,” Mora said. “But you?ve got to get them ready to play the next game, so there?s a fine line there.”

The Colts, AFC East champions in 1999 and a wild card playoff team last season, have won five in a row against the Chiefs and lead the all-time series 8-6.

The game was originally scheduled for Sunday afternoon but was moved to Thursday night by the NFL, which rearranged its schedule so as not to coincide with Game Two of the World Series on Sunday night, a week later than planned due to the Sept. 11 attacks.

The Colts might be without four regulars. Defensive end Chad Bratzke suffered a sprain to his right ankle against the Patriots.

The team also may have to play a second consecutive game without two offensive players — right tackle Adam Meadows (sprained left foot) and wide receiver Terrence Wilkins (broken ribs). Wide receiver Jerome Pathon (sprained right foot) may miss his third game.

The Chiefs will be without starting defensive tackle John Browning, who is nursing a pulled hamstring.
Indianapolis beat the Chiefs 27-14 in Kansas City in the 2000 season opener.