Wisconsin men’s soccer continues downward spiral

The Wisconsin men’s soccer team was outshot 16-1 as No. 6 Indiana defeated the Badgers 4-0 Friday night at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

Wisconsin fell to 6-5-1 overall and 0-2 in the Big Ten with the loss, while the Hoosiers remained unbeaten in the conference at 4-0-0 and improved to 8-2-0 overall.

Wisconsin had its chances early, but was unable to get any shots on goal due to the tough Hoosier defense and aggressive play of senior goalkeeper Colin Rogers. The game remained scoreless until the 32nd minute, when IU junior John Swann found the back of the Badger net off a corner kick from Mike Ambersley.

Less than two minutes later, senior Ryan Hammer gave Indiana some insurance with a header to the near corner off a crossing pass from junior Pat Noonan. Swann tallied his second goal of the night in the 55th minute, gaining control of the ball from a crowd in front of the Badger net and sliding it past the near post.

Senior Tyler Hawley notched the game’s final score, taking a long pass from Greg Badger and using a ricocheted header off the goalpost to put it past UW goalie Moriba Atiba Baker, who had made several great plays in the game to avoid an even more lopsided outcome.