Women’s soccer loses in overtime

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team succumbed to its opponent yet again. The Badgers lost 2-1 to Minnesota Sunday at the McClimon Soccer Complex. The game saw UW dominate the contest for more than three quarters of the gala, allowing Minnesota (4-7 overall, 3-4 Big Ten) to hang around and notch the victory.

UM eventually converted the winning goal using overtime minutes to overtake UW (4-7-2, 1-5-1). The Golden Gophers sealed the deal with a goal from senior defender Samantha Meyers as the ball found its way to the net in the 101st minute.

The Badgers took more corner kicks (10-1) and more shots on goal (22-7) than Minnesota, but could only yield one goal throughout the game. Wisconsin pressured Minnesota all through the first half, keeping the ball in Gopher territory.

The first offensive production from either team occurred during the 55th minute of the game. UW junior forward Lauren Schmidt tallied her first goal of the season off of a penalty kick. The kick was set up by freshman Amy Vermeulen after she took the ball to the goal and was fouled by a Gopher defender.

“Up 1-0, we had control of the game,” UW head coach Dean Duerst said.

However, UW’s defense could not stop Minnesota forward Rachael Roth, the team’s leading scorer. Roth managed to play a role in both of her team’s goals, scoring a goal and assisting Meyers’ game-winner.

During the 73rd minute, Roth was able to escape from the UW backfield, get a breakaway and convert the goal against UW goalie Kelly Conway. The game would remain scoreless for the remainder of regulation, making overtime necessary.

During the extra period, UW managed to get three shots on goal but failed to score. Minnesota’s first shot was the only one the team needed. Meyers received the ball six feet away from the goal via Roth and bagged the game winner using a header to beat Conway.

Minnesota was able to bring its four-game losing streak to a halt with the win. Sunday’s game was less productive for the Badgers. Wisconsin has now scored only three goals in its previous seven Big Ten games. The Badgers have lost their last three games and now own sole position of last place in the Big Ten.

“Through adversity, we must somehow find success,” Duerst said. “Through adversity, we must learn from our mistakes.”

A couple of the freshman on UW’s squad made mistakes on the field, as Kristen Betz and Sarah Capel were both given yellow cards after venting their frustrations during the second half of the game. It was Betz’s third and Capel’s second of the season.

The Badgers now face the tougher half of the season. Unable to contend any longer for the Big Ten’s regular season crown, UW can play the upset role next Friday against No. 7 Penn State, who boasts the Big Ten’s best conference record, with an unblemished 5-0-1.

After their visit to PSU, the Badgers head back towards home, stopping in Columbus for a match against Ohio State — the conference’s ninth-placed team — on the way.