Release of Division I-A standings delayed

GREENSBORO, N.C. (REUTERS) — The first set of standings used to determine which teams play in the Bowl Championship Series’ national championship game will be released a week later than previously announced.

BCS coordinator John Swofford said the first standings will be released Monday, Oct. 22, instead of next Monday, Oct. 16.

The change was due to the postponement of all Division I-A games the weekend after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

“With the cancellation of the entire Division I-A schedule for the weekend of Sept. 15, we feel that not enough games would have been played by Oct. 15 to allow for accurate BCS standings,” said Swofford, also the commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

“Barely 50 percent of the nation’s Division I-A teams would have played half of their respective schedules by next Monday.”

The BCS standings use the AP media poll and the coaches poll, eight computer rankings, strength-of-schedule and the win-loss records to determine the top teams. The standings will continue on a weekly through the end of the season. The final BCS standings will be released Sunday, Dec. 9.