Panthers maul women’s soccer

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team fell to UW-Milwaukee, 2-0, Wednesday night at the McClimon Soccer Complex. The loss is UW’s first to UW-Milwaukee in program history. The Badgers are now 13-1-4 all-time versus the Panthers.

“It’s becoming very frustrating,” said coach Dean Duerst, whose team was held scoreless for the fifth time this year. “We’re playing very good soccer but not getting results.”

The Badgers (4-6-2 overall) battled the Panthers (9-2) to a scoreless first half. Wisconsin had a number of good looks in the first half, but couldn’t get the ball past UW-Milwaukee goalkeeper Kerri St. Aubin, who made four saves on the night.

“That’s what has been happening all too often to our team this year,” Duerst said of the missed opportunities. “I think it was our game to lose and we had enough chances to win this game, so that’s a tough lesson for any team to go through.”

UW-Milwaukee took advantage of UW’s lost opportunities in the second half. Evann Franklin scored the game winner at 74:15 and added an insurance goal for the Panthers at 87:16. Both goals were unassisted shots from the front of the net.

The Badgers were unable to find an answer to Franklin or UW-M in the second half. The Panthers outshot UW 9-4 in the second half and 14-9 in the game. UW-Milwaukee also earned four corner kicks to Wisconsin’s three in the final 45 minutes.

“I’m just very frustrated,” Duerst said. “I love this team; I think our team is a great team, and they’re facing some real adversity now.”