UW volleyball takes lead in Big Ten

After beating its two closest conference rivals this weekend, the Wisconsin volleyball team has precious little time to enjoy the victories.

Holding sole possession of the Big Ten lead, UW now looks ahead to the task of defending its spot against many tough conference opponents.

Wisconsin decisively beat fellow conference leaders Penn State and Ohio State this weekend, with both victories coming in three straight games. UW handed the Buckeyes their first loss of the season, and did so in a dominating fashion. Holding a record of 6-0 in the Big Ten, the Badgers are the undisputed target for every team hopeful of a conference championship. Head coach Pete Waite commented on his team’s stellar play over the weekend, and the extent to which his team will enjoy the victories.

“It will be very brief one, if there is any sigh of relief,” Waite said. “Because we just got to prepare for next weekend and go at it again.”

Senior MB Sherisa Livingston also mentioned how the Badgers’ new position will affect the level of competition they face.

“Teams are going to come after us a little bit more now,” Livingston said.

The reality of the task at hand will hit hard for the Badgers this Wednesday as they travel for a weeknight game against fourth-place Northwestern (3-3). Waite also mentioned how his team will look to capitalize on its early-season success.

“We are in a great position and we want to stay there,” Waite said. “We want to separate ourselves from the other teams and not take any losses that we shouldn’t take — and, if possible, none at all.”

Wisconsin will face each Big Ten opponent twice during the regular season. The Badgers are currently halfway through the first part of their conference season.