Badgers stunned by Hoosiers, 63-22

MADISON, Wis. – Led by a 280-yard, six-touchdown performance by senior running back Levron Williams, Indiana defeated the Wisconsin football team, 63-32, today at Camp Randall Stadium. After falling behind, 32-0, by the end of the first quarter, the Badgers (3-3 overall, 1-1 Big Ten) were unable to pull within 22 points of the Hoosiers the remainder of the game.

UW junior quarterback Brooks Bollinger completed 15-of-24 passing attempts and threw for 222 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

“First, let me commend Indiana for playing such a fine football game,” said UW head coach Barry Alvarez. “I thought offensively, they were outstanding. I really can’t put a finger on why we played like we did today. This is where you need leadership, our guys have got to show some character and see if we can bounce back from this and learn what ever we can from it.”

On Indiana’s (1-3, 1-1) first three drives, Williams scored on 3-, 56-, and 6-yard touchdown runs to give the Hoosiers a 20-0 advantage by the 9:32 mark of the first half. On the UW’s next possession, freshman Kirk Munden’s punt was blocked by IU’s Brian Lewis deep in the Badgers’ own territory and recovered by Duane Stone who returned the ball 10 yards to give his team a 26-0 lead. With 3:13 remaining in the first half Indiana’s Antwaan Randle El, threw a four-yard strike to freshman tight end Aaron Halterman for the Hoosiers’ fifth touchdown of the game.

Wisconsin got on the board with a 22-yard field goal by Mark Neuser with 11:57 left in the second quarter before Bollinger found junior Lee Evans, who caught nine passes for 148 yards in the game, for a 43-yard touchdown cutting the deficit to 32-10 after Neuser’s extra point.

After leading 42-17 at the half, Indiana scored early in the third quarter to make it 49-17. Tight end Mark Anelli, who posted five receptions for 55 yards, made a diving touchdown reception and caught Bollinger’s ensuing pass for the two-point conversion to bring the Badgers to 49-25 with 5:43 left in the third.

IU’s Lewis and Williams each tacked on another touchdown for the Hoosiers before UW safety Joey Boese recovered a fumble and returned it 26 yards for the game’s final score.

Williams’ six touchdowns tied the record for the most scored by a player in a Big Ten Conference game. Michigan State’s Blake Ezor scored six TDs against Northwestern on Nov. 18, 1989.

The Badgers take to the road next weekend to face Ohio State for a 2:30 p.m. contest in Columbus.