Women’s soccer looks to end offensive woes

Wisconsin’s women’s soccer team goes into the weekend still seeking their first win of the Big Ten season. After failing to come away with a win in their first four conference games, the Badgers’ Big Ten season rests on the performance of this weekend.

Iowa comes into town Friday for an afternoon contest at McClimon Soccer Complex against the Badgers (0-3-1 Big Ten, 3-4-2 overall). Iowa (2-1-0 Big Ten, 4-5-0) comes to Madison not only with a two-game win streak on the line, but also to improve on their fourth-place standing in the conference.

Wisconsin comes into the weekend eyeing not only their first win but also a chance to climb out of the cellar of the Big Ten standings, which requires the team to play as a unit.

The Badgers have not had an impressive performance since Sept. 9, when the team played in South Bend against Notre Dame.

Illinois will face the Badgers on Sunday. The Fighting Illini (2-1 Big Ten, 4-4) have surrendered their past two games after being shut out in both. Wisconsin goalie Kelly Conway will be called upon versus Illinois. She’ll have her work cut out for her, as the Fighting Illini lead the conference in shots on goal with 179 nearly 30 shots ahead of second.

Conway did her part last weekend to keep Wisconsin in both games. Conway allowed only one goal, leading her team to a scoreless double overtime tie against Michigan State and letting Michigan slip a goal by her after nearly 100 minutes of play.

Iowa and Illinois are tied for first place in goals against average, leading the Big Ten with .33 goals per game. Wisconsin needs to keep its poise and composure so they will be able to execute and get their first goal of the conference season. The Badgers need to win both games if their hopes of a conference title are to remain alive.