Women still struggle to score

The UW women’s soccer team was unable to rid itself of the monkey on its back, once again failing to record its first win in the Big Ten this season. The Badgers scoring woes continued through the second week of conference action — they have failed to score on their past 58 shots on goal.

Fortunately the Badgers (0-3-1 Big Ten, 3-4-2 overall) were able to escape the weekend with a scoreless double-overtime tie against Michigan State (1-2-1, 4-3-2) on Friday afternoon.

“It’s just disappointing,” UW head coach Dean Duerst said. “Both keepers really were the difference. They each came up with big (saves) . . . but the key saves were very big. Only one point in the Big Ten after three games is not the way we wanted to start, but we know we can still turn it around.”

Sunday delivered yet another overtime game for UW. Michigan (3-1, 5-4) was able to propel itself into the forefront of the Big Ten standings with a late goal in the first overtime by forward Stephanie Chavez.

“It’s really a painful, bitter taste in our mouth,” Duerst said. “Because our team hung together today and played extremely well. As the game went on, we became a tougher team. I was happy to see the character exhibited today.”

UW stayed with Michigan even when they played shorthanded during the second half. Senior captain Allie Rogosheske was ejected after earning herself and Wisconsin their first red card of the season. The Badgers received an outstanding weekend by goalie Kelly Conway. Conway allowed one goal on 29 shots (.966) and notched her third shutout of the season. Plagued by the inability to convert goals in the clutch, UW can take comfort in the fact that they are not in the cellar of the Big Ten. Ohio State has failed to earn a victory this season. The two teams play each other Oct. 21 in Columbus.

Duerst’s Crystal Ball:

Head coach Duerst has not shied away from the tough questions surrounding the world today. Well, at least surrounding the sporting world. Duerst has his opinion on what Barry Bonds and the San Francisco Giants are made of and if history will be rewritten.

“(Bond’s has to) have a good team around him,” Duerst said. “(The Giants are) doing well and I think that’s giving him more chances to do that.”

Duerst’s tater prophecy for Bonds: “85 . . .no. I think he’s going to hit 74 and that’s my prediction.”

Bond’s slaughtering of the yard ball has MLB pitchers thinking twice about pitching to him. When asked what he would do, Duerst stated simply without blinking,

“I would go after him. I think some pitchers may (throw Bond’s meat pitches) and that’s not right. That’s not moral.”

There is ‘no doubt’ in Duerst’s mind that the record will fall, it’s only a matter of when.