Soccer makes schedule changes

The Wisconsin men’s soccer team has moved its game against Marquette University up one day, from Sept. 27 to Sept. 26, to accommodate the Golden Eagles’ difficult new schedule. With their road trip cancelled last week due to the attacks in New York and Washington, D.C., Marquette had to reschedule two games. While one game remains unscheduled, the Golden Eagles now play at the University of Alabama-Birmingham on Friday, Sept. 28, at 2:00 p.m. Playing the night before in Madison was just not a possibility. However, this change could benefit the Badgers, because they will have an extra day to prepare for the first game of their Big Ten schedule, against Ohio State, on Sept. 30. Game time for the Marquette at Wisconsin game remains at 7:00 p.m.

Iona game up in the air: No makeup date has yet been set for the makeup game between the Badgers and Iona, which was called off last Friday. The game will either be made up later in the season or cancelled completely. There is a good chance that the game will not be played, as both teams will be starting their conference schedules in the next few weeks and non-conference games lose importance as the season progresses.

Party atmosphere: With the men’s soccer team off to its best start in eight years, the celebrations have already begun. For the first time in history, there will be a tailgate party before the men’s Big Ten opener versus Ohio State on Sunday, Oct. 30 at 1:00 p.m. Sponsored by the Friends of UW Soccer, the tailgate will begin at noon in a parking lot near the McClimon Soccer Complex.

DaPra’s run at the record books Although it is too early in the season to discuss potential records falling, senior forward Dominic DaPra makes it hard not to notice that one record is in jeopardy. Sparked by three multi-goal games, DaPra has eight goals and one assist for a total of 17 points in leading the Badgers to a 5-0 start. With 13 games left in the season, as well as the Big Ten tournament, it seems DaPra has a good chance to break Todd Zoschke’s 1984 mark of 18 goals and 44 total points in a season. However, the competition will not make it easy.

Four of the teams that UW faces this season are currently ranked in the Top 20. Combine that with a grueling Big Ten schedule, which is sure to take its toll, and Dapra’s chances become slimmer.