Athletes leave UW

Over the weekend two Wisconsin athletes announced their departures from their respective Badger squads.

Sophomore Julian Swartz announced that he would permanently leave the basketball team, and redshirt freshman running back Tyron Griffin left the football team.

Swartz left the team in agreement with his mental-health providers, the UW Sports Medicine staff and his family, citing mental-health issues.

“I support and respect Julian?s decision, and I wish nothing but the best for him and his family,” Badger head coach Bo Ryan said.

Swartz, a native of Waukesha, Wis., played in 17 games as a freshman in 1999-2000 and averaged 1.5 points per game for Wisconsin?s Final Four appearance. He sat out last season after he suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and returned to campus over the summer to resume classes and his role on the Badger squad. The Swartz family does not wish to comment on this matter.

Head football coach Barry Alvarez announced that Griffin chose to quit the team in order to pursue other opportunities.

Griffin appeared in the Badgers? game Sept. 1 at Oregon and carried the ball twice for three yards.