UW men’s soccer defeats Loyola

The Wisconsin men’s soccer team scored three goals in the final 13 minutes of the first half and held on to defeat Loyola-Chicago in an exhibition game Aug. 26 at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

Loyola’s Bill Metzger gave the Ramblers a 1-0 lead in the ninth minute of action, before UW senior defender Scott Repa evened the score at 1-1 in the 32nd minute with a header off a well-placed corner kick from freshman Ryan Nord.

The Badgers took a 2-1 lead in the 42nd minute when senior Aaron Lauber fired a header into the Loyola net. With just 13 seconds remaining to halftime, sophomore Erol Goknur gave the Badgers some insurance when his free kick found its way through a wall of Rambler players and across the goal line.

In the fifth minute of the second half, Loyola narrowed the gap to 3-2 when freshman Adam Ruud gained control of a rebound and took a shot from point-blank range. The Wisconsin defense, along with goalkeepers Moriba Baker, Phil Ayoub and Eric Hanson, combined to thwart any further scoring opportunities as the Badgers walked away with the victory.