Braunston Added to Women’s Soccer Staff

MADISON, Wis. – Kristie Braunston, a former graduate assistant coach at Texas Christian University, joins the University of Wisconsin women’s soccer program as an assistant coach.

“I’m extremely excited to start the new season with a new person in our staff who will bring some great new energy and ideas to Wisconsin women’s soccer,” coach Dean Duerst said.

Braunston was a graduate assistant coach at TCU from August 1999 to August 2001. From May 1998 to May 1999, Braunston was an assistant coach for Louisiana State’s women’s soccer program. Braunston has also worked various summer soccer camps.

“She’s someone that will bring a fresh new face to our program and to the players,” Duerst said. “She’s just recently competed at a very high level and has a couple years of Division I collegiate coaching under her belt. She’s really going to add to the strength of our coaching staff.”

This summer, Braunston played for the Texas Odyssey in the United Soccer League’s W-1 League. The 37-team W-League includes both current and former college players and is classified as an open league, allowing collegiate players to play with professionals.

Braunston was a three-year starter at Vanderbilt from 1995-97 and was selected to the SEC All-Tournament team in 1997. A member of the Dean’s List, Braunston was academic All-SEC and served on the Student Athletic Advisory Board at Vanderbilt. She also started at outside midfield for the U.S. Soccer Festival South Team in 1996 and 1997.

“She’s been a leader on the teams that she’s played on and obviously she possesses a lot of soccer intelligence,” Duerst said. “She’s got a great mind for the game.”

In May 2001, Braunston earned her MBA from TCU. Braunston is a 1998 graduate of Vanderbilt with a bachelor’s degree in Human and Organizational Development. Braunston also earned a minor in business at Vanderbilt.