Big Ten Women’s Team departs for foreign tour

The 2001 Big Ten women’s basketball 12-member squad departed Chicago, Aug. 7 for an 11-day tour of Switzerland and France.

The team’s first destination is the Montreux-Vevey region of Switzerland, where the Big Ten squad will face the Sion/Helios club on Thursday, Aug. 9, in the first of five games on the tour’s schedule.

While in Montreux, the squad will face the Martigny squad on Saturday, Aug. 11, and Troistorents BBC on Sunday, Aug. 12. During its stay in Switzerland, the Foreign Tour team will have the opportunity to take in some of the regions famous vistas, such as views of the Alps and Lake Geneva and the Chateau de Chillon.

The tour moves on to Strasbourg, France on Monday, Aug. 13. After touring the city on Tuesday, Aug. 14, the Big Ten representatives will tip off against the Racing Strasbourg club. The team will travel to Paris on Wednesday, and over the course of the next two days will visit the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Louvre and numerous other attractions. The tour’s final game will take place on Friday, Aug. 17 against the Arras club in Viloaines, France. The team will travel back to Chicago on Saturday, Aug 18.

The team is coached by Jane Albright, who is beginning her eighth year as Wisconsin’s mentor. Wisconsin players on tour include sophomore 6-5 center Emily Ashbaugh, and senior guard Kyle Black. The game schedule and roster of the 2001 Big Ten Foreign Tour squad follows