Hunter, Friesen selected for Canadian hockey camp

Madison, WI – Wisconsin women’s hockey forward Meghan Hunter (Oil Springs, Ont.) and incoming frosh Jackie Friesen (Regina, Sask.) have been named to Canada’s Under-22 Team Development Camp by the Canadian Hockey Association. Hunter, college hockey’s leading scorer during the 2000-01 season, and Friesen join 26 other players for the August 21-31 camp. The event will serve as Canada’s selection for its under-22 national team and will take place at the Father David Bauer Arena in Calgary, Alberta.

Hunter, a freshman on the Badgers last season, shared the national scoring lead with 42 goals and 78 points. One of 10 finalists for The Patty Kazmaier Award as women’s college hockey’s best player, she earned the titles of Second-Team All-American and WCHA Rookie of the Year for her performance.

Friesen, a left-wing, spent this past year as co-captain of her boys’ high school team at Thom Collegiate Regina. In the past she has seen time with Team Saskatchewan as well as with the Regina Royals.

Wisconsin women’s hockey opens its season Oct. 12 on the road at St. Cloud State. The Badgers’ first home game takes place at the Kohl Center on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 2:35 p.m., against Connecticut.