Best non-chain restaurant

Med-Caf001

It doesn’t have a catchy slogan or a goofy mascot to promote its food, but the Mediterranean Cafe doesn’t need one. The food speaks for itself.

The menu at Med Cafe isn’t terribly expansive, but it doesn’t need to be. The can’t-miss item — and my personal favorite — is the shawarma plate, offered in the lamb and beef or chicken variety. If you order a plate, you’ll also get rice, a Greek side salad (makes me feel like I’m eating healthy), hummus and pita bread to accompany the meat. If you don’t know what hummus is, don’t ask. Just go in, order some and enjoy. You’ll like it; trust me.

All the food is fresh, with the meat carved as you order. There’s plenty of staff on hand to get you your food quickly, and they’ll even bring it to your table if you decide to dine in. If you choose to take your food to go, not a problem. The Med Cafe offers the to-go convenience of any chain.

Inside, patrons will find a cozy setting with plenty of seating. Take it as a good sign that it’s sometimes tough to find a place to sit — it means the place is top-notch.

After you’ve finished up your shawarma plate or falafel sandwich, try some delicious baklava for dessert. They have a few different varieties — almond is a good choice — that add a nice finish to a great meal.

Next time you’re on State Street, pass on Chipotle, ignore Taco Bell and head to the best non-chain restaurant in Madison: the Mediterranean Cafe.