Scott’s Pastry Shoppe

[media-credit name=’JAKE NAUGHTON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]VientianePalace_JN[/media-credit]For those early risers meandering around Capitol Square, there drifts a scent on the breeze that's sure to arouse anyone's taste buds. It is the smell of freshly baked pastries wafting from Scott's Pastry Shoppe, served starting at 6 a.m. on weekdays at its location on 19 W. Main St. on the Lake Monona side of Capitol Square.

First comers to this bakery will find a rather sparse atmosphere inside, but here it's really only the sweet eats that matter. Scott's has all of the necessities of a pastry shop, from long johns to kringles, plus other delights such as baklava, pies and a pleasing array of gluttonously proportioned cookies — perfect for sharing if you want to take a date out for a cheap but honest and homemade dessert, although you'd have to get there before the Shoppe's rather early closing time of 5 p.m.

Unlike most modern specialized establishments, Scott's does not pretend to be some sort of patisserie in order to justify unreasonable prices on an ordinary donut. It is instead a simple and wholesome bakery, where virtually no item will cost you more than $3.

Breakfast skippers would find this an ideal place to swing by on their way to or between daily routines. Light but satisfying cake donuts can be found for a mere $0.60 each, or tasty bagels for $0.85. If you have more of a sweet tooth, the danishes aren't bad either ($1.75-$2.25), and it's hard to go wrong with honey-filled baklava $1.15 apiece.

Scott's does not specialize in any particular baked good or pastry, but rather invites its customers to get what they already know they want, because Scott's has something for everyone. Most items are baked daily, but there is the caveat that they aren't made on site, instead delivered from a branch in Middleton.

Unfortunately Scott's coffee — arguably the pastry's most important complement — is a wholly unremarkable gas station-style Colombian blend, so caffeine addicts might be advised to get their morning fix at any of Madison's innumerable cafés on their way to their destination. You'll just have to hide the pastry you're carrying, because that coffee shop would probably like to sell you the same thing, but for twice the price.