State Street Brats

They say one of the best ways to learn about a city's culture is through its local bars and restaurants. When I came to look at the University of Wisconsin campus as a senior in high school, it took only one such example to make my decision for me.

State Street Brats will always be near and dear to me, as it is for many, many other locals and college students in Mad-town. When you think good Wisconsin food, you think instantly of brats cooking on the grill, and you can't find 'em any better than here. The spicy fries are tasty, and they make a pretty good burger too. Patrons enjoy the dinner specials, including $2 double-stack burgers and $2 white brat night.

And speaking of nightly deals, the drink specials at Brats are as personable among Madison drinks as anywhere else in the city. Two nights of the stock exchange — one for beer on tap, another for mixed drinks — are among the greatest promotions in Madison. And what's more, it's not Tuesday night at Brats, it's "Flip" night. You won't find many barhoppers who can't recite the weekly lineup at Brats off the top of their heads.

And perhaps the greatest part of State Street Brats is its atmosphere. Sure, as a sports writer, I'm a little biased, but I absolutely love getting to watch eight different games at once on either the first or second floor. With a twin set of ten-foot screens on the upstairs level, Brats provides sports fans with one of the best atmospheres in the country Saturday, Sunday and the rest of the week as well.

Bottom line: If you're a college sports fan and can only hit up one restaurant in town, look no further than State Street Brats, easily the best representation of what being a Badger is all about.