Mickies Dairy Bar

Too hung over to scramble your own eggs? Too tired to flip your own pancakes? Have no fear, just mosey on down to Mickies Dairy Bar on Monroe Street and grab a seat — or a place in line — to enjoy a breakfast as awesome as your headache is unwelcome.

The food is tailormade for college students: cheap, but good. Beware they only accept cash.

There is only one standing rule at Mickies. Get some dairy. How many other dairy bars do you know? That's what I thought, take advantage of the opportunity with a shake or malt.

The menu is loaded with wonderful eats that are almost certain to appeal to all. If you haven't had a Scrambler before, then don't even bother looking at the rest of the menu as it is Mickies’ signature dish, putting together an omelet of your choice with toast, gravy and yanks, which are only the best potato dish ever invented, despite their terribly Steinbrenner-ish name.

The pancakes are great too, and come teetering off the side of your plate, draped in syrup and butter. Seating is family style, so get ready to bump elbows with your fellow Madisonites, as the restaurant is small, busy, and often filled to the brim with glassy-eyed undergrads looking for a day-after cure.

The waiters are peppy — almost overly for the task they endure, especially on the weekends — and always make conversation with their customers.

One tip though, try to avoid parking; there are few parking spots and the ones that are there are either taken or metered, which can be a drag, especially as your wait time for your table exponentially increases with each food order. So, don’t go if you don’t have lots of time to spare as the line is usually out the door early on the weekends, which can be brutal on a cold winter morning.