Luedtke’s Oakcrest Tavern

If you're looking for a game to watch, odds are it's on at Luedtke's Oakcrest Tavern. With 30 televisions, including a projection screen in the back room, the Oakcrest caters to the sports fan in all of us. Serving more than 100 varieties of beer to go along with an extensive and affordable menu, the Oakcrest is a guaranteed great time, whether it’s game night or a night out. "[The Oakcrest has] a really laid-back atmosphere where anyone can just chill and relax," said Lindsey Stark, UW student and Oakcrest regular. "It provides a close, but not too sketchy bar for those of us who live too far from State Street." While the Oakcrest is a fine spot to imbibe before and after games, especially with the OCT's free shuttle to and from Kohl Center events, the easygoing ambiance during off evenings exhibits the Oakcrest's true charms. With ample seating at both the bar and surrounding tables, including a dining room in the rear, the tavern has the space for even the biggest of groups to sit down and chat away the evening. The amiable waitstaff and bar regulars give the Oakcrest a neighborhood feel. Thursday nights the Oakcrest offers $2.50 microbrews, which include Capital Amber, Blue Moon and Sierra Nevada. Thirsty Thursdays also offer discounted rail mixers. Friday night brings $2 discounts on pitchers after 10 p.m. Saturday night, the Oakcrest offers a selection of martinis including chocolate, blue raspberry and Cosmos for $2.50. From the menu, the full-plate nachos are a sure fire winner for a hungry crowd, but be warned — finishing a platter is a heavy task for even a large crowd. A list of "Tavern Classics" provides the best in affordable offerings on a very diverse menu. Try the Grilled Cheese Special or the Turkey Club. The Oakcrest also provides excellent burgers and a traditional Wisconsin fish fry every Wednesday and Friday night. The Oakcrest has become a game-day tradition in Madison, but the neighborhood tavern is a friendly place on any evening.