Softball team to play at Mayfair

After going 3-2 at the Lobo Invitational in New Mexico last week, the University of Wisconsin softball team has a chance to continue that success in the Mayfair Tournament this weekend.

The tournament, hosted by Long Beach State, will see the Badgers take on BYU, Cal State Northridge, Long Beach State and No. 12/15 Fresno State.

The Badgers started the season 0-6, but have gone 5-2 in their last seven games to bring their record to 5-8. Both losses during that stretch came by only one run and overall, five of UW’s losses have been by a single run.

The average margin of defeat in the team’s other three losses was 6.7 runs, including a 0-5 loss to Fresno State and a 0-7 loss to Long Beach State. UW will get a chance to avenge those losses this weekend.

UW junior pitcher Letty Olivarez took the losses against both the Bulldogs and 49ers but owns a 2.07 ERA, 16 strikeouts and a 2-1 record in her last three starts. Olivarez also hit .250 with 4 runs batted in and one walk in five games last weekend.

Offensively, the Badgers didn’t improve by much between their first six games and their last seven. In their 0-6 start, UW hit for a .253 average and scored 16 runs. During their recent 5-2 stretch, they only hit seven points better, posting a .260 average and scoring 20 runs.

The difference between the two stretches can be attributed mainly to defense and pitching. UW gave up 39 runs in its first six games, while only allowing 15 in its last seven. Since that 0-6 start, the Badgers dropped their team ERA from 5.75 to a 3.31 mark.

UW will face BYU for the first time this season and Cal State Northridge for the first time in school history. BYU is 4-0 all-time against UW, with the last meeting resulting in a 4-3 Cougars win at the Stanford Invitational last March.

Wisconsin plays BYU and Cal State Northridge Friday, Long Beach State and Fresno State Saturday, and finishes Sunday with a second game against Cal State Northridge.