Ah, the bygone days of mysongynism… and excessive consumption of lard

These ads were once in circulation.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

**Question: What the hell was in Kellog’s PEP vitamins?**

ad1.jpg

**I wonder at what point the Lard Council had to retract their ad campaign due to the health problems that befell people who really loved their lard.**

ad2.jpg

**They’re dead now…** **because they ate lard.**

**Addendum:** In response to a well-informed comment, I’d like to provide a clarification and a qualification. I framed the Lard Council ad in such a negative light because many (if not most) contemporary store-bought lards are full of hydrogenated oils, a significant source of [trans fats](http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/2003/503_fats.html), which have been shown to raise levels of LDL cholesterol. If your levels of LDL cholesterol are consistently high (or higher than a certain number), then you are at risk for developing plaque on your arteries, which can eventually contribute to the development of coronary heart disease. This was the source of my mocking, derisive tone. However, as a rebuttal to my own argument, I would also to present an illuminating article by Pete Wells that appeared in Food & Wine Magazine in 2005: [“Lard: The New Health Food”](http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/lard-the-new-health-food). In the article, he seeks to restore the good name of *all-natural* lard, an entirely different product than the mass-produced store-bought varieties. It’s an insightful look at developing a new attitude towards using all-natural lard in your cooking. I certainly took notice. (And learned my lesson.)