PCP: Bigger threat: Swine or ‘D’?

Bleach

The university has sent e-mails telling us to avoid class at all costs if we feel so much as a sniffle.

And now at least 10 players on the football have been confirmed to have flu-like symptoms?

We may as well cancel the season.

Seriously, can anything be a bigger threat to Bret Bielema’s fourth year as head coach than the dreaded H1N1?

Think about it. These guys shower together. Sweat together. And grapple with each other for over two hours a day.

If one of them has it, they all have it.

Furthermore, the university can’t have them playing another school. First we will give it to Fresno State. Then Fresno transfers it to the rest of their conference… and eventually the world.

That’s right, the UW football team would be responsible for a pandemic.

At such a forward thinking university, we could never be responsible for the transfer of H1N1. Think of all the protests!

Right now, the best bet for Bielema is to quarantine all players with the flu and suspend them for “conduct detrimental to the team.” While this may include some stalwarts that appear invaluable to the uneducated fans, Bielema’s policy of “next man in” should have them covered. I mean, O’Brien Schofield is replaceable, right?

Swine flu was a big deal when it was just getting people sick. The loss of football? This country isn’t equipped to handle such a tragedy.

Braun

Now Mike, I have yet to have a personal encounter with the H1N1 virus, but what I do know is that once diagnosed with the swine flu, you recover, and that’s it.

Well, for the Badgers’ secondary, if they could figure out a way to conquer their problems like doctors can treat swine flu, maybe it would be in better shape than it is now.

I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Unlike swine flu, the Badgers’ secondary just won’t get better. With Aaron Henry missing tackles and Niles Brinkley blowing coverage, things just aren’t looking Wisconsin’s way.

If only the UW athletic department could create a flu shot that would make the football players faster, stronger and quicker. Or maybe they could just get some artificial help from Jose Canseco. Same difference.

This little flu scare from the football team is nothing more than that. What we really have to worry about is whether or not defensive coordinator Dave Doeren can accomplish his goals this year. So far, we saw the Badgers give up big plays (Me’co Brown’s 46-yard run) and saw the defense nearly blow the game at the end of the fourth quarter.

These mishaps need to be fixed, and if Bielema and Co. can figure out a way to solve this problem as easily as people have handled the swine flu craze, maybe the defense can recover. Just keep Canseco’s number on speed dial.