From the desk of the editor: Let’s talk about mental health

It’s time to talk openly and candidly about our unseen struggles

It’s not glamorous. It’s not sexy. It’s not fun. It’s not easy to talk about.

It’s time to address the stigmas of mental illness.

An estimated one in four adults aged 18 or older in the U.S. live with a diagnosable mental health disorder. This means it’s nearly impossible to go through life and not know someone or be personally impacted by a mental illness. 

This week, The Badger Herald made a point to feature mental health issues in our paper. As someone who deals with depression and anxiety myself, I know how hard it can be to talk about mental health. We decided it was time to change that.

It’s time to talk openly and candidly about our unseen struggles. Too often we push aside our own mental health needs. But just because an ailment is not as visible as a broken leg doesn’t mean it can’t or shouldn’t be treated.

College students in the 21st century face mounting pressures. Because of this, we can no longer put mental health on the back burner. As students under incredible amounts of stress, it is important to seek help when needed. There are numerous resources on campus that want to be the ones to help.

From participating in student organizations like National Alliance on Mental Illness and Ask.Listen.Save. to talking to a professional at University Health Services, there is no shortage of outlets where you can talk about your mental health and well-being.

There is never a wrong time to ask for help. Though it may seem like there are not enough hours in the day to schedule an appointment at UHS, it is possible. Make time for yourself and prioritize self-care. This may be easier said than done, but the results are worth it.

If you know someone who is struggling, don’t be afraid to talk to them. You never know how deeply someone might be hurting before it’s too late.

The most important step we can all take in addressing stigmas surrounding mental illness is talking about it. So let’s talk.