Herald to pioneer new media model

katherine_AF
Next year, Katherine Krueger will be the Editor-in-Chief of The Badger Herald[/media-credit]

Daily is irrelevant, and print is on its way out.

These are quickly becoming the maxims evoked to scare any freshman thinking about pursuing journalism back to the job security of the business school’s hallowed halls.

But instead of clinging to our daily print edition and our conceptions of what an old school, conventional student newspaper should be, The Badger Herald’s staff made a bold choice: to focus on covering the news that matters to students 24-hours a day while crafting a new print identity for our Monday and Thursday editions. This means you’ll be able to track major stories online as they develop, rather than waiting to see the headline on anyone’s front page the next morning.

Daily print editions of a newspaper, student or otherwise, are not how students (myself included) get their news. As a fully student-run news organization, it no longer makes sense to pour resources into a product that doesn’t serve the needs of our readers. 

As with any major change to an established organization, our announcement of a new publication model has been met with everything from cynicism to punditry – all of which are far easier than trying new solutions to old problems. Innovation is difficult. But as I prepare to take on the role of Editor-in-Chief, I couldn’t be more excited to take the lead in rebuilding the Herald from the ground up. 

The Herald was founded on being edgy, forward-thinking and oppositional – traits you only get from a fully independent student paper. As we create a new media organization that’s focused on digital-first storytelling and interactive content, we’ll also be reconnecting with our roots. The Herald has always been a student experiment, and this is the next chapter.

I am humbled and honored to have the chance to lead such a talented and innovative group of student journalists. I also should thank and praise my close friend and mentor, outgoing Editor-in-Chief Ryan Rainey, for his incredible work this past year. Ryan has navigated rough waters with strength, poise and humor – achieving the incredibly difficult task of ruling with an iron first while wearing a velvet glove. He will be missed, but his drive for pursuing what’s next at the Herald will not be forgotten. I also want to thank my friend and Herald confidant Pam Selman, this year’s Editor-at-Large, for being understanding, insightful and one of the toughest ladies I’ve ever met. It’s hard to believe it’s been three years since we bonded over the life of an associate.

So next fall, if you’re a writer, a photographer, a designer, a hacker or simply interested in being a part of building an entirely new kind of college media organization, I encourage you to join us.

Big things are happening at the Herald – I’m just excited to be a part of what’s next.

Katherine Krueger ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.