Boettcher’s courageous “It Gets Better” video praiseworthy

The University of Wisconsin has a rich history of social tolerance. It also has a legacy of activism, fostering not only acceptance but also open discourse and the free expression of ideas. With this said, it still requires courageous individuals to contribute and express their opinions in order to maintain an environment of inclusiveness and acceptance.

One UW student in particular recently established himself as one of these important individuals. Senior Colton Boettcher produced and edited a music video speaking out against anti-gay bullying that has been gaining national attention. The music video is set to the Lady Gaga song “Hair,” and is essentially an unconventional take on a Cinderella story. With more than 440,000 views on YouTube since being posted last Thursday, this video is certainly making an impact. In addition, Lady Gaga has taken notice of the video, lending her support to the cause and disseminating it via her Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Anti-gay bullying is undoubtedly an issue that deserves the utmost public concern. According to the It Gets Better Project website, nine out of 10 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students have experienced some form of harassment at school. In addition, more than one-third of LGBT youth have attempted suicide. These statistics are telling in regard to the immediacy of this problem.

There are certainly inherent obstacles in coping with the issue at hand, namely the remaining prevalence of heterosexism and homophobia in the Madison community and beyond. Reality dictates that many remain hesitant to come to terms with matters involving sex and sexual orientation due to these sentiments. This has, and will continue to be, a habitual barrier to social progress in this country. However, we must work within the framework of these limitations to raise awareness and work toward a resolution of this pressing social issue.

Social change is, by nature, slow to occur. However, history suggests that it is often the work of passionate individuals that facilitate this progress: first gaining tolerance, and then acceptance. Boettcher’s video sends the clear message that LGBT students deserve acceptance. The lyrics of Lady Gaga’s song “Hair” say it all. “Why can’t I be who I wanna be”?

This statement speaks volumes in regard to the dilemma facing many students who fall outside of what others deem “the norm.” But who makes the determination as to what this expectation of “normalcy” is? The term “normal” is to each their own. No individual fits this imaginary ideal perfectly, so why does society perpetually try to target those that fail to do so? This demonstrates clear social hypocrisy, and is the absolute least constructive approach to bettering society as a whole.

In stark contrast, Boettcher’s music video is a phenomenal example of how addressing issues in a bold yet constructive manner can effectively shed light on a matter that many are tentative to come to terms with. Although the anti-gay bullying message is conveyed clearly and convincingly, this video is appealing for more than just its social commentary. With excellent choreography, captivating theatrics and engaging music, it is a truly enchanting piece of artistry that deserves the positive acclaim it is receiving.

Like Lady Gaga herself, Boettcher’s music video proves that the unconventional is often the most captivating. This video serves as a critical example of how one bold individual can generate widespread awareness via constructive contributions to the ever-flowing stream of public discourse. As a society and a student body, we have much to learn from such a display of courage and activism. Without bold individuals willing to put forth their own opinions, where would we be as a society?

For social change to occur, we must collectively assume responsibility for the conditions in which we live. Activism is indeed paramount to this accountability. In reality, the right and freedom to be who one chooses to be is not a given for everyone, but rather a liberty reserved for those that society deems to fit its definition of “normal.” In the words of Lady Gaga, “I just want to be free, I just want to be me.” It is time to make this a right for every individual regardless of whether or not they fit the rigid mold of “normalcy.”

Hannah Sleznikow ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science.