Braun: Burress’ jail time unusually harsh

While New York fans were drooling over Eli Manning and the New York Giants yesterday after their 24-0 win over Tampa Bay, I couldn’t help but think of the former NFL wide receiver Plaxico Burress sitting in his jail cell.

I mean, I’m not one to fret over a multimillion dollar star who illegally carried firearms and accidentally shot himself in the leg. How the whole situation continues to linger on in my mind — and many NFL fans’ minds — attests to the fact of how big of a deal him going to jail actually is.

Now, again, I will admit Burress wasn’t right in carrying around his gun, and shooting himself with it probably wasn’t the smartest thing he could have done. Hiding it and not cooperating with the investigation gave him an even worse rep as the inquiry took place.

What bothers me is not the fact Manning had to throw the ball to a receiver other than Burress (Travis Beckum even caught a couple passes), but simply that Burress’ star treatment was a little different than most athletes receive.

That’s not to say I’m pro Dont? Stallworth getting away with murder (well, DUI manslaughter). In fact, if I had it my way, everyone would be treated like Burress was by the New York District Attorney Robert Morgenthau.

“We’ve always taken the position that he’s going to have to go to jail, whether by trial or by plea,” Morgenthau told the New York Post during the trial.

Obviously, in a normal Joe Shmoe case, Morgenthau’s statement would have probably been legitimate.

However, in such a high profile case, putting a huge target on Burress separates him from the rest of the legal justice system. Seriously, what can set apart an athlete from any random case more than a DA calling for a more severe sentence than what most would get for the crime?

Stallworth, though committing a crime that could be viewed as far more severe, was given the star treatment on the opposite side of the spectrum, reaching a financial settlement with the victim’s family and serving a 30-day jail sentence.

Similarly, while Michael Vick served two years in prison, the fact that he’s actually playing in the NFL right now is absolutely ridiculous. His embarrassment to the Atlanta Falcons organization, all his fans, and the utter morose nature of his dog fighting ring has no place in any football organization.

And now people are welcoming him and his mediocre quarterback numbers with open arms.

Although I might sound pretty harsh on these athletes, my point is a simple one: Legal justice does not correlate with moral recovery. Just because Vick spent two years in prison doesn’t mean he learned his lesson, and just because Stallworth cooperated with authorities doesn’t mean he should be forgiven.

Think about it: What’s a worse mistake? Hiding your gun from the police to avoid an arrest, or killing and torturing dozens of dogs to make money?

I think everyone knows the answer to that question. Burress was targeted because of an actual mistake, while Vick, though he claims to be rehabilitated from his dog fighting “illness” is now on the Philadelphia Eagles’ active roster.

What if this happened in baseball? Already, MLB players are ridiculed for their steroid use, as they should be. But, their choice to cheat is often viewed upon as a disgrace to not only the game itself, but to the entire country and its baseball fans.

There’s a reason why nobody will welcome back Barry Bonds. It’s obvious he took steroids, and he’s also a moron when it comes to dealing with media. I’m a Bonds hater just like almost everyone else, but I won’t say he doesn’t deserve to play baseball. I mean, if Vick is suiting up, Barroid gets a pass in my book.

But nevertheless, we continue to be hypocritical about football players’ actions, saying they “made mistakes” and deserve a second chance. I’m tired of that response, and I think most sports fans should be as well.

Burress obviously made a mistake he wishes he could take back. He probably could have avoided most of the jail time he’s now receiving if he had cooperated with police, and he probably knows it too. But he, like every athlete, shouldn’t expect to receive special treatment when it comes to legal justice.

Stallworth and Vick both took advantage of a system that gives extra legroom to athletes who cooperate with investigations. Burress didn’t, and therein lies the problem. Burress is being punished for a crime far less severe than both Stallworth’s and Vick’s.

While Burress is contemplating his mistakes in a jail cell, Stallworth (though not currently playing) and Vick found a way out of a much deeper mess. Maybe before pointing the finger at the Giants’ receiver, we should start looking at the way we view athletes’ actions, and realize that a lot of the time, things aren’t always what they seem.

Jonah is a junior majoring in journalism and Hebrew and Semitic studies. Think people’s perception of athlete’s is perfectly fine? Is the legal justice fair to high profile players? Send your thoughts to [email protected].