Solochek: Big Dance on line for Big Ten squads

As I got my first invitation to a NCAA tournament pool this year, I took a look at what teams the “bracketologists” were picking and at what seeds.

Both ESPN and Sports Illustrated picked eight teams from the Big Ten. Yes, you heard me, eight teams. That is more than any league, including the Big East and the ACC.

With such high expectations going into a conference tournament, it should make for a maddening weekend at the Conseco Field House in Indianapolis.

Starting this afternoon, first round action begins with what could be the most intriguing game in the first two days in the matchup between Minnesota and Northwestern. What makes this game so interesting is Northwestern is fighting for a spot in the Big Dance.

That is right folks, the Fighting Bill Carmody’s are looking to make a run in the conference tournament for a spot in the NCAA tournament for the first time ever. The last time they made a postseason tournament was in 1999 when they lost in the first round of the NIT tournament.

As important as the win is for the Wildcats, it is equally essential for Minnesota to win if it wants to receive a bid to the NCAA tournament. Despite sweeping Wisconsin and beating Louisville, the Golden Gophers are fighting for a spot in the tournament because of disappointing losses to Northwestern, Penn State and losing both games to the Michigan Wolverines.

The first round match between the Gophers and Wildcats is a do-or-die game because of the implications it could have for not only moving on in the Big Ten tournament (to play Michigan State) but also impressing the selection committee.

But Northwestern and Minnesota aren’t the only two teams fighting for their tournament spot. Penn State, which has big wins against Michigan State in East Lansing and against Georgia Tech in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on the resume, is looking to make its first tournament appearance in a while, as well. Their first round matchup against Indiana for the chance to play Purdue Friday will surely be exciting.

UW assistant coach Gary Close is particularly excited for the opening rounds, saying that this year more than ever any team can win the Big Ten Tournament.

“There are enough teams in there that, if they get on a roll, they can beat anyone,” Close said. “Northwestern beat Michigan State at Michigan State. Penn State beat Michigan State at Michigan State, but Michigan State is the No. 1 seed, but they have [been] beaten before. But, they are in a tournament environment.”

Michigan, which has the seventh seed in the tournament, might have one of the most impressive non-conference r?sum?s of all the teams fighting for a tournament spot. The Wolverines beat both UCLA and Duke before the Big Ten season started, but faltered as the conference scheduled progressed. However, after winning four of their last six games, they put their name back in the mix of teams that have a lot to prove in Indianapolis.

With all the power at the bottom of the Big Ten, the second-round matches are equally essential if the top four or five teams in the conference want to improve on their seeding next weekend. Michigan State, the No.1 team in the conference and regular season champion, might have one of the toughest roads to the tournament finals. In their first game, the Spartans are going to play either a desperate Minnesota or Northwestern squad. If they make it out of that game, the Spartans will face the winner of Wisconsin vs. Ohio State, which will be a physical game that could emotionally and physically drain both teams.

With so many teams on the bubble, the top four or five teams are going to have to be on upset alert for each game. If not, Cinderella could be fit for a slipper before the dance even starts.

“In a tournament setting, what you have to do, more than anything, you have to focus on this one game,” Close said. “Because if you don’t, you won’t advance and it doesn’t matter.”

Ben Solochek is a senior majoring in journalism and history. How competitive will the Big Ten Tournament be this year? Send him your thoughts at [email protected].