It is actually about who you know: Networking important tool to landing job

Positions requiring interpersonal, social skills have risen more in demand, wage growth compared to ones requiring cognitive, mathematical abilities
Courtesy of giphy user Matthew Butler

College provides students with experiences and knowledge that should equip students to be prepared for work, but simply going to college won’t guarantee students a job upon graduation. The skills and information learned in college is valuable, but the connections made are of even greater importance when it comes to landing a job.

The information age has exacerbated the significance of networking in the modern-day work climate. As high as 80 percent of jobs nowadays are filled through networking, according to an ABC News report.

Networking has long served as a useful tool for filling jobs, but new technologies create networking opportunities non-existent in the near past. Social media platforms enable users to connect with others across the world at a moment’s notice, but also has created an expectation for all to be connected on these networks.

While sites like Facebook and Twitter serve more personal uses, LinkedIn specifically serves to connect people and jobs. The site’s popularity ballooned nearly fivefold over the past half-decade from 90 million users in 2010 to 414 million by the end of 2015.  LinkedIn will likely snowball in popularity as newer generations join the rapidly growing network of the web.

Unlike other social media, LinkedIn is a sphere designed for users to build profiles exclusively relevant to their work experiences and interests. Members can share posts, apply for jobs, follow companies and much more. Pam Garcia-Rivera, University of Wisconsin’s media, information and communication advisor, notes students “can find hundreds of thousands of alumni through the LinkedIn network” who are often more than willing to connect with current students of their alma mater.

Networking is no longer simply a means to finding a job — it is a necessary skill to excel in the work world. Positions requiring high interpersonal and social skills have risen in demand and wage growth compared to positions exclusively requiring high cognitive and mathematical abilities. While the automation of many jobs has increased efficiency, “computers aren’t good at simulating human interaction,” as Harvard associate professor David Deming said.

“Networking isn’t just about getting a job; it’s more about building relationships,” Garcia-Rivera said.

A person will often circle back in their career and run into previous co-workers, employers or friends.

Even if a person doesn’t initially get a job, by maintaining positive relationships, Garcia-Rivera said, “Somebody down the line may be able to offer you an opportunity.”

Building up your personal network can often serve as a fill-in when you may not meet all the desired job qualifications. “A lot of people hire people for being a good fit,” not just people who match the qualifications,” Garcia-Rivera said.

Meshing with a company’s culture holds significance when trying to get a job there. It can be difficult for applicants to give employers’ a sense of their personality through just a résumé and cover letter. Having someone within the company vouch for you as a person can hold just as much weight as one’s qualifications when it comes to getting the job.

While having quality work experience is a necessary part of being hired, cultivating and maintaining a large network of friends and colleagues is your best bet for landing a job.

Ryan Smith ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in strategic communications.