The Badger Herald Editorial Board endorses Hayley Young for Board of Supervisors

As a young political professional committed to Madison, Young has time, resources to establish consistent student voice

No one can replace the fiery, colorful character that is Dane County Supervisor, Leland Pan, District 5.

But when Pan announced he would step down from the Dane County Board of Supervisors after four years of service, two candidates stepped up to the plate.  

Leaving county board, Leland Pan recalls career marked by idealism

In the race to represent a district with a predominantly student population, recent University of Wisconsin alumna Hayley Young faces off against UW sophomore Angelito Tenorio.

Tenorio and Young tout similar platforms — cleaning up the environment, addressing rampant county-wide racial disparities, advocating for the homeless and representing student interests at the county level. Their biggest difference lies in their ability to achieve tangible results.

Other supervisors often see the District 5 seat as a joke because of historically poor attendance at meetings, the seat holder’s regular passage of non-binding referendums that enact no lasting change and a notable lack of initiative from the seat holder, Young told The Badger Herald Editorial Board. But she said she can bring professionalism to the position.  

Frankly, this board agrees.

While Tenorio is well-intentioned, he does not have the necessary experience and knowledge of the workings of county politics to accomplish his desired policies.

Tenorio has experience with the Associated Students of Madison, but it’s difficult to see this often unresponsive and ineffectual student government as adequate preparation for a position on the Board of Supervisors.

ASM is inherently ineffective at accomplishing its goals

In contrast, Young has held leadership positions that more closely resemble a county government environment. Young chaired College Democrats her senior year at UW and is a recent addition to Rep. Melissa Sargent’s, D-Madison, staff at the Capitol.

ASM usually has a guaranteed seat at the table while other organizations such as College Democrats often have to fight for a seat, Young said, which more accurately mirrors the actuality of county politics.

But one of Tenorio’s advantages lies in his close connection to campus. As a current UW student, Tenorio could easily represent campus voices more, a role he said he’s already comfortable with as an ASM leader.

Similar to Young, Tenorio said things like affordable housing and racial equity would be issues he would push forward. Tenorio also expressed interest in meeting with student activists often, to stay connected to issues affecting students.

Young also looks to stay connected through similar methods.

Despite graduating in May of last year, Young still retains considerable ties to campus. Cognizant of the fact she is no longer a student, Young said she will hold regular check-ins with campus leaders, listening sessions and office hours for the UW community. The techniques found success with Scott Resnick, former alderman of the student-dominated District 8, Young said.

As a young political professional committed to being in Madison for the foreseeable future, Young has the time and resources to establish a consistent and well-developed student voice within county government for years to come.  

Likewise, this board is confident Tenorio could become a valuable asset to local government given the time to develop a more in-depth awareness of county issues and government mechanics.

For the April 5 election, however, The Badger Herald Editorial Board endorses Young for the Dane County Board of Supervisors.