Meet the fall 2015 Editorial Board

The Badger Herald Editorial Board exists to highlight issues of importance to the University of Wisconsin student community. The Board regularly meets to discuss topics pertinent to students on the university, city and state levels.

The Board welcomes any comments, criticism, topic suggestions or alternative viewpoints. Feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].

Below are the members of this semester’s Editorial Board.

Editor-in-Chief Aliya Iftikhar

No more biting my tongue. It’s my sixth semester at the Herald and after coming from a background in news, I’m ready to shed the values of objectivity (ok, obviously not) and voice my opinions.

I’m an international studies major with certificates in Middle Eastern studies and global health. I’m a born and bred Minnesotan and my family is originally from Kashmir, India. I grew up spending my summers there, which eventually spurred an interest in studying areas of conflict, peace-building and giving voice to the powerless. Other areas of interest include: international politics, access to health care, minority rights, women’s issues and happenings at the top of Bascom and in the Capitol.

There are always two sides to a story and the fastest way to get me to listen to your side is using logic, rationale and backing it up with substance.

Any queries about where the bathroom key is, other questions/comments or chocolate chip cookies can be directed to @aliyazeba or [email protected].

Managing Editor Rachael Lallensack

Oh, I do not like writing in first person, this is weird.

My background in The Badger Herald’s news department beat all of the “I thinks” and bias out of me. Funnelling through J-School made objectivity king of my values, but as a different king, or rather, “The Boss” Bruce Springsteen said on his 1985 album Scarecrow, “You’ve gotta stand for something or you’ll fall for anything.” (Fun fact: I know every word to that album because it got stuck in the cassette player of my dad’s truck. Make what you will of that.)

I’m a senior majoring in journalism and environmental studies. Put simply, I’m passionate about animals and nature. My best friend used to protest the treatment of elephants at circuses and petitioned Wal-mart to stop selling beta fish in Tupperware containers. The house I grew up in is nestled on the outskirts of DNR-protected land and a portion of the Ice Age Trail.

As I learned from one of my favorite UW professors, Bill Cronon, there is no division between a human environment and the idea of wilderness. (Take ENV460 before you graduate. You will not regret it.) So in my view, humans are animals and environmental issues are human issues.

Things like climate change, sustainable energy, animal testing and conservation get me pretty worked up.

Beyond that, I’m most interested in giving a voice to the voiceless and making sure people are held accountable for their actions.

Send animal facts, puns and pictures to [email protected]. If you want to watch me troll @BBCEarth on Twitter, follow @rlallensack.

Managing Editor Briana Reilly

Even after three semesters of writing the same 200-word bio, it doesn’t get any easier. So here goes nothing.

I’m going on my fifth semester with the Herald and my fourth as a member of this Board. My Herald history consists of three semesters involved in the opinion section and one semester in a state of BH limbo (think pseudo retirement). But now I’m fully back and ready to opine again.

Fueled by the kicks and feelings of nostalgia I get from watching reruns of old Simpsons episodes and consuming these little coffee candies I found in China, I hope to use this energy to challenge myself (and my views) and the status quo. This semester on Board, I want to learn more, disagree more and write more insightful editorials, ones crafted after lengthy debate and consideration.

I’m interested in homelessness, human rights issues, activism, politics and East Asia. Feel free to chat with me about these topics or anything else at [email protected] or @briana_reilly on Twitter.

Opinion Editor Mackenzie Krumme

I have been a columnist for The Badger Herald for just over one year and was recently asked to move from writer to opinion editor, marking my first semester on the Editorial Board. I am majoring in journalism and international studies, although I may have an advanced degree in asking lots of questions. With only three semesters left at UW, I hope to take full advantage of not working full-time and eating out as much as my budget will allow.

When I am not knee-deep in homework or walking my dogs, I enjoy traveling. I recently became a Spirit Airline’s gold member. It has so many perks, such as being permitted to carry three small articles of clothing and paying $3.75 for tap water. I also have a young niece, which is the best excuse in the world to act like a small child.

As far as my political ideology, I was raised by parents who were in their prime during the 1960s — the era of the true hippie. After having two daughters and adopting a third, they became special education teachers. They taught me to be an activist, a hybrid-driving-animal-lover and to be accepting of others. I spent one year of my life living in a country with free health care and free higher education. I spent two years of my life living in poverty stricken rural areas. I will let you make some assumptions.

The issues I am particularly interested in are immigration, education, minimum wage, health care and government assistance programs.

If you’d like to have coffee over a (vegan) muffin and discuss your life choices, which are not as unfortunate as you may think, please feel free to email me at [email protected].  

At-Large Member Madeline Sweitzer

Hey Herald readers, it’s me again. As I enter my junior year, it will be my third semester on Editorial Board and my fifth semester at the Herald — two as an opinion contributor, two as an editorial page editor and now as an at-large member of this Board. So far, I’ve been all opinion, all the time.

I’m currently interested in issues surrounding gender equality, mental health and the LGBTQ community following the legalization of same-sex marriage.

I’ve also been sucked into the 2016 hype machine. Over the summer, some of my friends and I pledged to see every presidential candidate that came to Wisconsin (except Donald Trump). Thus, my summer included shaking Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vt.) hand at his Madison rally and seeing Gov. Scott Walker announce his presidential bid in Waukesha (or as I call it, Walker-sha). I may be the only person who paid for campaign buttons from both the self-identified socialist Sanders and the conservative Kohl’s enthusiast Walker.

After getting into the School of Journalism and Mass Communication over the summer, I’m now officially a triple major, but what I plan to do with a degree in political science, history and journalism is still undecided. If you want to give me career advice, fangirl John Oliver or discuss your views, I can be reached at [email protected] or @mcsweitzer on Twitter.