“Not all Greeks” rhetoric is part of the problem

Langdon+Street
Joey Reuteman
Langdon Street

It seems fraternity mishaps have been grabbing headlines all year, and this month was no exception, with two University of Wisconsin fraternities finding themselves in trouble. The university even terminated one of the fraternities, Chi Phi, after an initiation gone wrong — a pledge who was in a casket ended up in the hospital when a drunk student “curb stomped” the casket.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/03/23/records-casket-ritual-sparked-probe-that-led-to-chi-phi-termination/

Every time a fraternity or sorority is exposed for an indiscretion, the stark division between Greeks and non-Greeks comes to the forefront. As a non-Greek, I prepare myself for the all-too-familiar response of “Not all Greeks! You don’t understand!”

To a point, I agree. I am not involved in a Greek organization, so I don’t have firsthand experience of the innerworkings of Greek life on our campus. In addition, as fraternities and sororities endlessly repeat, they really do good work in our community and should not be demonized for the actions of the minority. But as a member of the community Greek organizations strive to serve, I’m still not impressed.

Consistent protests of, “Not all Greeks!” following unsavory occurrences ultimately could do more harm than good. Instead of alienating the community they strive to serve with accusations of discrimination, they should turn their scrutiny inward and show they have the same concerns as the rest of campus.

When Greek organizations shout, “Not all Greeks!” but fail to follow up with extra, tangible effort toward ending the incidents in question, it only fuels the fire of distrust they claim to want to extinguish. Reassurances that not every fraternity member would participate in hazing doesn’t do much for me. The problem is some members, however small in number, would.

As a student, I want reassurances the Greek community (not just university committees) condemns such instances and will work internally to prevent them in the future. Yes, there are several anti-hazing measures in place, but obviously something is not working and SOME members of the Greek community are not getting the message.

Show us you’re as committed to ending the cultural issues within a small minority of Greek life. I have seen more begrudging protests than actual progress within the Greek community to address issues that obviously have not been put to rest.

I get it: Not all Greeks. But don’t let your scrutiny end there. Work to show the rest of the community you mean it.

Madeline Sweitzer ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science, history and intending to major in journalism.