Election day voters left hanging by bill

Assembly Bill 158 "relating to: the deadline and procedure for voter registration and the determination of residency for voting purposes." Upon first glance, this bill does not seem out of the ordinary. Judging by the title, a citizen would guess that perhaps it pertains to methods used to maximize voter turnout. This assumption, however, would be wrong.

Just as our parents have always taught us: Do not judge a book, or in this case, a bill, by it's cover. AB 158 does not seek to increase voter turnout, but stifle it. In fact, ending same-day voter registration in Wisconsin would silence a large portion of the student vote by erecting procedural hurdles.

Each time a student moves to another residence, he or she must re-register to vote due to the address change. The most convenient method is Election Day Registration, which takes place at the constituent's voting venue.

EDR allows for students to re-register quickly and conveniently at their polling places. Seven states currently implement the EDR policy. It began in the 1970s with Minnesota, Wisconsin and Maine. Throughout the years it has become standard procedure for Idaho, New Hampshire, Wyoming and just recently, Montana.

The voter turnout in the states implementing EDR is demonstrably higher in comparison with those states that require earlier registration. Minnesota leads the nation in Voting Eligible Population turnout, with more than 77 percent of the eligible citizens of Minnesota voting in the 2004 elections. Wisconsin held second place with 76.2 percent.

By comparison, South Carolina, in 50th place, approximately 52 percent of the eligible population voted in 2004. The differences between theses numbers demonstrate the enormous impact that EDR has had on elections. So why would legislators want to end such a strong program?

One possible explanation is fear. According to Demos, a non-partisan public policy research group, "EDR could increase youth turnout in presidential elections by as much as 14 [percent]." Whether students want to believe it or not, the youth of America does have an impact on the nation when it comes to voting, especially in states with EDR. The more influential the student population, the more constituents will be able to influence policies — a concern for legislators who doubt the judgment of a large student voting bloc.

With this proposed bill, it appears that the Wisconsin legislature is catching on to the impact that students can have on election day and are trying to reduce it. I know that had I been able to foresee the debacle that is the current state budget, I would not have voted for those currently serving terms in the Legislature.

Since the initial days of implementation, EDR has increased the numbers of citizens going to the polls. Currently, 27 states require voters to register 25 or more days in advance of the elections. AB 158, in its current state, would require Wisconsin's citizens to register at least 14 days in advance of elections.

Fourteen days appears reasonable on the surface. But think back to your freshman year. The first few months of class are a time of acclimation to the campus climate, the make-up of classes, etc. It is not the time when you are actively seeking voter registration information. EDR accounts for this often-difficult transition period by making registration relatively painless.

If AB 158 were to pass, what organization would be responsible for ensuring that students are registered to vote before the deadline passes?

The government does not appear willing to provide students with any provisions for registration, so it would fall upon individual campuses across Wisconsin. Not every college campus has either student government or public interest groups capable of executing a registration campaign of this magnitude, considering the number of resources it would require to guarantee students are registered in time.

I could only foresee mass chaos if this bill were to pass. Republican Reps. Suzanne Jeskewitz, John Townsend, Thomas Lothian, Robin Vos, Jeff Stone, Alvin Ott, Sheryl Albers, Carol Owens, Steve Nass, Patricia Strachota and Mark Gundrum attempted to silence students, and now it is our turn to return the favor.

Let us demonstrate the full voting power of students and oust these men and women from the Legislature for attempting to meddle with our rights.

Hannah Karns ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science and international studies.