Kumar brings true student voice

If you're one of the many students on campus who lives in Dane County District 5, Ashok Kumar is the candidate you should cast your vote for April 4. Kumar's extensive experience in both campus and local politics, his impressive command of county issues and his progressive political leanings make him the best-suited candidate to represent UW students.

Kumar has made the most out of his three years in Madison by devoting himself to political causes both on and off campus. His leadership on sexual violence issues has changed the face of campus. The Fraternity Action Coalition, which Kumar co-founded, has successfully addressed sexual assault and related gender issues within the Greek system since its inception. Kumar has promised to continue to devote political energy to the issue by expanding funding for sexual assault programs on campus and restoring the Women's Transit Authority at the top of his list of priorities.

Kumar's record of supporting workers and local businesses is also impressive. His work with the Student Labor Action Coalition fighting for living wages for all workers and sweat-free purchasing policies reveals his commitment to creating worker-friendly environments. He has also indicated his support for county preferences for small local businesses — an important incentive to keep unique Dane County establishments in town and in business.

Kumar has a good feel for what sort of issues are appropriate to address at the county level. He's built his platform around a consideration for what can be accomplished at the county level, and he's figured out what it will take to achieve those goals. A great example of this is his commitment to tenants' rights. In order to advance tenants' rights, Kumar has pledged to preserve county funding for the Tenant Resource Center, which offers valuable services to many student residents. Additionally, he has identified low-income Section 8 housing as an area where he can channel his passion and political will to push for change. Many low-income tenants who rely on Section 8 vouchers to pay for their housing experience significant challenges in getting their renting applications approved in areas where they want to live. This problem forces Section 8 tenants to a few concentrated areas throughout the city, effectively segregating them from the rest of the community. Where they live affects the quality of education their kids receive and the safety of their neighborhoods, among other things. Kumar will propose outlawing renting discrimination against Section 8 tenants in an effort to reduce this problem.

Kumar is the right candidate for District 5 because he promotes the value of fairness shared by most of his constituents in all areas of his vision for Dane County. Cast your vote for Ashok April 4.

Liz Sanger ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in violin performance and English.