State should endorse monotheism

I knew it was coming. I just didn't know when.

Michael Newdow, perhaps the nation's most well known atheist, has found his way back into a courtroom. But it isn't because "under God" is in the Pledge of Allegiance. With that issue working its way through the federal courts, Mr. Newdow has now sued to remove our nation's motto — "In God We Trust" — from U.S. currency.

In light of Mr. Newdow's most recent assault on our nation's history and creed, the U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal last week from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit regarding the constitutionality of the message of "In God We Trust" on government buildings. This appeal came less than six years after the U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution encouraging the motto to be placed in classrooms and government buildings across America.

But this isn't the beginning of this legal action.

Recent litigation has addressed the constitutionality of government actions under the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment — including the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools and the displaying of the Ten Commandments on public property.

Given these lawsuits, an important question must be asked. Why has this nation allowed a diminutive group of obviously disgruntled people to create legal turmoil by challenging the fundamental principles of our nation's credo?

It is true the founders of our Constitution sought a separation of church and state. The early settlers of this nation escaped religious persecution from a monarchy heavily entangled with religion. And such was not going to be the framework for the New World. But to exclude a monotheist God from influencing our nation's ideas and beliefs did not seem to be their intent.

In a recent case regarding the constitutionality of the Ten Commandments on government property, Justice Scalia — in his dissent in McCreary v. ACLU — suggested the Supreme Court endorse monotheism — the belief in one God. The justices of the Court should strongly consider their fellow brethren's words.

Currently, the high court relies heavily on the Lemon test to determine whether a government action violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. But if anyone is to make any sense of the Establishment Clause cases of the Court, they should realize these holdings reflect decisions made on a whim and a prayer — no pun intended — more often than an application of coherent precedent.

The government should be allowed to endorse monotheism. But such an endorsement would not allow the government to endorse different monotheist religions, such as Christianity, Judaism, or Islam. In keeping with the intent of this nation, this is indeed a reasonable interpretation of the Constitution, as an endorsement of monotheism would allow for the presence of God in our nation's courtrooms, classrooms, and government buildings.

It would also keep frivolous "Newdow" lawsuits from falling into the hands of activist judges who could potentially threaten the belief system this nation was built upon.

Historical evidence suggests the Founders were careful to avoid reference to Christianity in their writings; however, they relied heavily on their faith in God. George Washington was the first to include "so help me God" after taking the oath of office as president. Since his utterance of those words, every president has followed suit. Other examples of the Founders' reliance on God are abundant.

If Mr. Newdow has such a problem with God being the motto of this nation, then what is next — an attack on this university's motto, Numen Lumen? This Latin phrase has been translated to mean "God our Light," and this saying can be found on the seal of this university and in Memorial Library.

The question many should be asking, though, is when will an unrelenting atheist decide to engage this university — a public institution — in a legal battle over the constitutionality of "God" in the school's motto? This abhorrent litigation will end only when the Court adopts a constitutional test that is consistent with the text of the Constitution.

Recently, I came across a car obviously owned by an atheist who turned a bumper sticker that read "God Bless America" into "Godless American" by crossing out the "b" and adding an "n." I get it. You don't believe in God. But that doesn't mean the rest of the nation must reject the principles upon which this country was built.

Darryn Beckstrom ([email protected]) is a doctoral student in the department of political science and a second-year MPA candidate in the La Follette School of Public Affairs.