Falk for governor

Wisconsin is in a very exciting position. We have the chance to elect our first woman Democrat gubernatorial nominee tomorrow. We can not only shatter the glass ceiling, but we can shatter it with the best democratic candidate Wisconsin has to offer–Kathleen Falk.

Kathleen Falk is dedicated to making Wisconsin a better place to live by making education a priority, ensuring affordable healthcare, investing in the environment and LGBTQ issues and protecting women’s right to choose.

It is also clear that Kathleen Falk is the only candidate in this race who cares about students and their needs. Her opponents have promised to cut UW funding while she has vowed to increase it; Falk supports capping tuition at the rate of inflation.

Falk fully supports Plan 2008 and intends on continuing its funding. She also supports substantially increasing funding for the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant.

Kathleen Falk is the only candidate with executive experience. Because of her position as Dane County executive, she has balanced the budget for the second-largest county in the state, a feat her opponents have never accomplished. She has also run the county jail and is the only candidate with a comprehensive prison-reform plan that will put an end to the prison system’s current racist institutions.

How can we trust the other candidates with our futures? Wishy-washy Tom Barrett can hardly make up his mind on campaign issues. One day he’s pro-life and anti-gay, the next he is pro-choice and gay friendly. What will he ever do when a controversial bill comes to his desk at the Capitol?

And what about Jim Doyle? I fear that corruption actually lives in his bones and blood.

One often wonders how things get done in his office. Well, we now know (from our Republican friends) that for years Doyle’s state employees ran his campaigns with state money. He was smart to fix that problem before this year’s race.

These boys will never do. Kathleen Falk brings to the table knowledge and commitment. She has the savvy of a seasoned politician and the patience and wisdom of a mother. She has worked tirelessly for over 20 years to create social and environmental justice while her opponents were smoking cigars and climbing the political ladder.

Falk stayed away from promoting herself as a woman candidate from the beginning of this race. She is not running for governor because she wants to make history–she is running because she wants to clean up our political system. She is running to better the lives of Wisconsin citizens.

In saying this, I have no problems with bringing to light how fantastic it would be to make history by electing Kathleen Falk–because she is a woman and also because she is an committed civil servant who will do extraordinary things in our state.

Historically, women do not vote in primary elections as much as men. This year we must mobilize. We must grab our mothers, sisters and friends to join us in creating a foundation of political equality for our daughters by casting a single vote. When women vote, women win.

Don’t vote for Kathleen because she is a woman. Vote for her because she is clearly the most experienced and passionate candidate in this race. Then, after you cast your vote, revel in the fact that you just created history. Vote tomorrow, Sept. 10.

Lauren Besser ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science and English. She is the vice president of Wisconsin NOW.