Johnson declines Sen. Feingold’s request for 6 debates

Before any debates have taken place, Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and Republican nominee Ron Johnson are already sparring – over the debates themselves.

Following his primary victory, Johnson accepted three debates against Feingold, even though Feingold originally wanted six.

“Ron Johnson has failed to meet the challenge to have an honest debate of the issues,” Feingold said in a statement.

Johnson and Feingold will debate in Milwaukee Oct. 8 and 11, and in Wausau Oct. 22. Feingold also accepted invitations to debate in Madison, Eau Claire and Oshkosh, but Johnson declined these invitations, saying three debates should be considered sufficient.

“Three debates is a good chance for voters to see Ron Johnson’s record next to Sen. Feingold’s,” Sarah Sendek, a spokesperson for the Johnson campaign, said. “Voters can see the difference between a career politician with an 18-year record of just being a politician and Ron Johnson, a businessman with a 30-year record of creating jobs.”

Johnson’s decision is somewhat unusual in a race involving an outsider trying to unseat an incumbent.

Normally opponents want to debate as much as they can to challenge incumbents on their record and establish more name recognition, but this situation is the opposite, Mike McCabe, executive director of the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, said.

Nevertheless, Andrew Welhouse, spokesperson for the Wisconsin GOP, does not think the decision to accept fewer debates will negatively impact Johnson’s campaign.

Johnson has been focusing on other avenues to get his message across and meet Wisconsin voters and does not necessarily need more debates to demonstrate his stance on the issues, Welhouse said.

Debating Feingold could also be considered a risk given Johnson’s lack of political experience, McCabe said.

“Feingold is seen as a shrewd and very capable debater, and Ron Johnson has shown a tendency to put his foot in his mouth on a few issues or misspeak and later retract or clarify statements,” McCabe said.

However, Welhouse said Johnson’s decision only represents a different strategy.

Debates can be misconstrued and Feingold could take the opportunity to twist Johnson’s words, Welhouse said.

“It’s no wonder Russ Feingold wants more debates,” Welhouse said. “He’s going to try to use debates to trap Ron Johnson and play political games with him.”

However, Brandon Lorenz, spokesperson for the state Democratic Party, sees Johnson’s decision as part of a trend of dodging debates with Feingold.

Johnson did not participate in twelve debates during the primary election either, Lorenz said.

Also connected to the debate decision could be the question of money, a recurring theme in many of the campaigns in Wisconsin this election season.

Johnson’s willingness to spend his personal fortune on campaign advertising means he does not necessarily need help with name recognition, McCabe said.

“This is one of the ways money has dramatically changed our politics,” McCabe said. “It used to be candidates needed opportunities to present themselves to voters, but now they can buy the ability to present themselves to voters every evening right in the viewer’s living room.”