Student Council moves Campus Services Fund to Rules Committee for further review

asm_ZL
Former Student Council member Colin Ingraham spoke at Wednesday’s meeting about the CSF.[/media-credit]

In order to allow for further student review and input on the Campus Services Fund, the student government voted to refer the proposal to a student government committee.

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council decided to refer the CSF, a proposal for to create an alternative funding stream for vital services on campus, to the Rules Committee.

According to Vice Chair Adam Johnson, the Student Services Finance Committee organized a meeting Tuesday night to discuss the CSF with interested and concerned students.

He said the proposal to refer the CSF to the Rules Committee came out of that meeting.

University of Wisconsin freshman Sam Seering, a student who attended the meeting on Tuesday, said moving the CSF to the Rules Committee would allow for greater student input in the proposal and would avoid requiring the Student Council to complete work on the proposal by a deadline.

He said the Rules Committee would be required to vote on whether to bring the proposal back to the Student Council if sent to them, allowing the committee to work on the details until student representatives felt the proposal was something both representatives and students could agree on.

Shared Governance Committee Chair Kyle VandenLangenberg said he did not think the Rules Committee would be capable of effectively working on the CSF because it has no historical precedent as a functioning body and struggles to make quorum.

“I just personally and politically believe that this is not the best way to go about it,” VandenLangenberg said.

University Affairs Committee Chair Carl Fergus said moving the CSF to the committee would allow for Student Council representatives to have more time to work on outreach to the student body and garner their opinions.

He said referring it would mean the council agrees the current CSF proposal is a good foundation to work from and improve upon.

Johnson said he would be in favor of passing the proposal as is, but did not think the Student Council was ready to approve it.

“I am in favor of moving it to (the Rules Committee) so that we can take what parts we agree on from the proposal and move forward from there,” Johnson said.

Chair Brandon Williams said there is not a set date for the CSF to return to the Student Council, but the council should review the proposal again at the end of February or beginning of March.

Williams also told the council he and other council representatives were able to meet with UW Chancellor Biddy Martin and address issues they have surrounding the Badger Partnership.

Williams said Martin confirmed the partnership is not a concrete proposal, but is, more or less, composed of possibilities.

He added Martin promised she will hold forums and have liaisons for groups that request them.

Representative Beth Huang said she was concerned about how much tuition will rise with the partnership.

Williams said Martin estimated the cost of tuition to be around $10,000 with the partnership.