Wis. campuses respond to homophobic incidents with LGBT support

Recent acts of discrimination and assault against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals in the University of Wisconsin System have caused university officials and student to react, inspiring anti-bullying rallies and debates about freedom of speech.

Earlier this month, UW-Eau Claire Information Systems Chair Tom Hilton sent an e-mail to a student who was working on publicizing the Eau Queer Film Festival, advising the student against promoting certain aspects of the event, including acceptance of homosexuality.

In response to Hilton’s e-mail, Student Body President Dylan Jambrek sent Hilton a letter from asking him to resign.

Jambrek’s letter stated Hilton’s remarks were both “hateful and hurtful” and could “only drive people into shame, self-doubt, and even suicide.”

Jambrek said he composed the letter because he was concerned about the campus climate and the climate in Hilton’s classroom, leaving students feeling uncomfortable and even threatened.

However, not all representatives of the Student Senate held the same opinion as Jambrek.

Finance Commission Director Jacob Kampen asked Jambrek to apologize to Hilton in the belief it is not the role of the student government to ask a professor to resign.

Although Hilton’s remarks have offended many people, it defeats the purpose of a university to censor different viewpoints and it is within Hilton’s rights to express his opinion, Kampen added.

There are a lot of students and groups that are very upset about the professor’s comments, but there are also a lot of students who do not want to see disciplinary action taken against Hilton for expressing his opinion.

However, Jambrek said that he has received positive feedback from the general student population and many students felt the same way as he did about Hilton’s e-mail.

UW-Whitewater students have also reacted acts of LGBT discrimination by holding an anti-bullying rally in the wake of several hate crimes committed against students.

On Sept. 26, a UW-Whitewater student was punched in the face for wearing a shirt that read “Legalize Gay.” A similar crime was committed against another UW-Whitewater student in December 2009.

In support of the hate crime victims, the clothing company American Apparel provided students with “Legalize Gay” shirts for the rally and will continue to provide the campus with the t-shirts until they are no longer wanted, said Katka Showers-Curtis vice president of IMPACT at UW-Whitewater.

She said every shipment of t-shirts they receive is distributed to students demanding them within a matter of hours.

There has been a strong reaction made by students on campus to fight against these hateful acts and support the victims of these crimes, Showers-Curtis said.

Showers-Curtis said she thought the rally was definitely a success, with over 200 students in attendance.

The chancellor of UW-Whitewater gave a speech and the victims of the hate crimes had an opportunity to speak, Showers-Curtis said.

“We created a very safe environment and people just felt comfortable,” Showers-Curtis said. “It was very inspirational.”

In addition to student endeavors, university officials have made strong efforts to make campus environments LGBT friendly.

UW-Madison is highly rated by the LGBT-Friendly Campus Climate Index, receiving a score of 4.5 stars out of 5, for its LGBT policies, student services and campus safety.

UW-Stout has been recognized by the Climate Index for improving its LGBT equity and inclusivity, increasing its rating from 3 to 4 stars.

Julie Miller, the LGBT program coordinator, said UW-Stout has made tremendous efforts in hiring LGBT advocates and developing new positions, such as her own position, in order to help make the LGBT population visible.

The LGBT Committee at UW-Stout has also has been working on making forms from different departments more inclusive and the university’s counseling staff has received training on how to provide counseling to LGBT students.

“It contributes to the sense of a welcoming and affirming environment,” Miller said.

Miller said it is has been gratifying to see that the university’s work over the past few years has been recognized by the index.