White House to hold community college summit

Second Lady Jill Biden announced she will hold hold the first ever community college summit at the White House this October. According to a statement from Biden’s office, community colleges, businesses, policymakers and students will have the chance to discuss the important role that community colleges play in the U.S. The summit will also set a platform to discuss ideas about how community colleges can continue to create a strong workforce and global economy.

Interim Chancellor of University of Wisconsin Colleges and UW Extension Marv Van Kekerix said two-year colleges in the UW System have a role to play in discussing the issues that face community colleges and setting goals to fortify their position in the educational system. Interim Dean of UW-Waukesha Jane Crisler said that the summit may give community colleges the attention and credit they deserve. “Generally, community colleges are not held in the highest of esteems,” said Crisler.

Dean and CEO of UW-Sheboygan Al Hardersen said Jill Biden has extensive experience in the field of education, and her experience will limit the focus of the summit to relevant topics and issues. Hardersen said that it would be beneficial for two-year colleges in the UW-system to participate in the summit because it would allow UW officials to pose questions about state and federal financial support and funding for research for community colleges. “I believe that the system has a responsibility to the state to improve the quality of education,” Hardersen said.

Van Kekerix said the people should use the summit as an opportunity to discuss pertinent issues revolving around the affordability and accessibility of the education community colleges provide. With the amount of adults retooling for new careers, Van Kekerix said that it is necessary to discuss to topic of the affordability of education. “The nature of the student population has changed, and part-time students are finding it difficult to qualify for federal aid,” Van Kekerix added.

With the current economic situation and rate of unemployment, Van Kekerix said it is vital to provide people with an affordable education that will allow them to retool for new careers. The White House has not yet released any information on the number of schools that will invite or on the application process for schools that wish to attend.