Bill legalizing sale of raw milk gets public hearing

A law that would allow farmers to sell milk straight from the cow, without pasteurization or homogenization, was up for public debate in a hearing Wednesday, which sparked concerns from both health advocates and dairy industry representatives.

The bill, proposed by Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, would only allow the sale of raw milk directly from a farmer to the consumer, rather than from grocery stories.

Grothman said the issue came to his attention four years ago after raw milk distributors in his district were being “harassed” about their raw milk sales by employees of the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.

He said 30 other states have legalized the sale of raw milk and those looking for health benefits often consume raw milk. He added its sale would not affect Wisconsin’s $26 billion dairy industry.

“I’m glad Wisconsin’s fishing industry doesn’t object and take away my freedom to eat raw sushi,” Grothman said. “I hope Wisconin’s agri-business sees raw milk as a way to expand Wisconsin’s dairy industry, not the other way around.”

Shawn Pfaff, representing the Wisconsin Dairy Business Association, Wisconsin Cheesemakers Association and Wisconsin Safe Milk Coalition, said the dairy industry could take a major hit if people stop consuming dairy altogether after experiencing adverse side effects from drinking raw milk.

Pfaff added pasteurization of milk occurs for a reason and keeps the integrity of the industry intact.

“We are proud of the brand we have worked on,” Pfaff said. “Whether you like it or not, the nation and the world sees cheese on [Green Bay] Packers fans’ heads. We have ‘America’s Dairyland’ on our license plates.”

Dr. Michael Gutzeit, chief medical officer of the Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, said since children do not have a choice in what their parents buy for them to eat, the bill does not account for the safety of children.

Chris Pollack, speaking on behalf of the Wisconsin Farm Bureau, told a story of a family member who became very sick after drinking raw milk at Christmas dinner.

“Kayla spent 14 days in intensive care, her pancreas had failed, as well as her kidneys, which required dialysis,” Pollack said. “Fluid accumulated around her heart and lungs, and her parents lived in fear she may not recover or see her next birthday.”

Pollack added he does not give the calves at his 150-cow dairy farm raw milk because he does not want to spread bacteria and disease among his cows.

Despite the health concerns, Vincent Hunt, a supporter of the bill, said it is confusing for people to be appalled about legalizing the sale of raw milk, when other legal products in our society are more harmful.

“This is first and foremost a subject about freedom,” Hunt said. “It would bring Wisconsin up to speed with 30 states and most of the world. We can buy gin, cigarettes and shotguns, but not [raw] milk.”